ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cavernous pothole = steering wheel not straight, pulls to the right, dodgy full lock

Clio sport 172
Morning All,

I recently hit a rather monstrous pothole on the passenger side front wheel, I swear it must of been half a foot deep (hit at night). Now my steering wheel is not straight when I drive straight and is turned to the left. The car feels twitchy over uneven surfaces and is proper dodgy on full lock (wheel doesn't self straighten, just seems to stick).

I've taken it to a number of places who tell me, "Somethings not right mate but I'm not sure what", yeah no s**t that's why I brought it to the garage you F"cK. I could do with some suggestions on what may be causing it so I don't waste time/money changing components. The only slightly useful information I've been given is that the front left is now further back than it should be.

Thanks for any help

Paul.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Re: Cavernous pothole = steering wheel not straight, pulls to the right, dodgy full l

where you based?

Clio sport 172
Re: Cavernous pothole = steering wheel not straight, pulls to the right, dodgy full l

Hi mate,

North London or Colchester (where I work)

Thanks man

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member

Have a check to see if anyone on here is local and will take a nosey. Has anyone actually had the car in the air to check it all out?

Clio sport 172

Yeah, both halfords and Kwik fit who have the Hunter alignment malarchy, but I just get the same s**t. I'm happy to start replacing some likely culprits under my own steam, unless it starts getting to changing sub frame. Any idea where a good place to start would be? Wishbones?

Cheers

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member

I would probably get it checked by someone who knows what they are doing before you potentialy waste money mate.

Many.

I'd happily have a look, sounds like you've either bent the wishbone or the subframe.

I'm in Great Dunmow, Give me a PM.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member

Do that ^^

BG 182

This happened to my pug hdi, bent track rod and wheel was buckled. And a 6 month vendetta with the local council which proved unfruitful.

Bent track rod end, bet inner track rod, bent wishbone, bent subframe.

One or more of those.
Get a proper reliable garage to have a look at it and try getting a laser alignment done. Keep receipts, send them to the council along with a picture of the pothole in daylight.

My council paid out for a new alloy wheel and repair work when I hit one

BG 182

One or more of those.
Get a proper reliable garage to have a look at it and try getting a laser alignment done. Keep receipts, send them to the council along with a picture of the pothole in daylight.

Your lucky, I just got a letter (on very nice paper) basically telling me to f*** off!

That's unbelievable. How much hassle was it to get them to pay out?
Not that I've had any problems but the roads around here are like the moon.

It was a long time ago - 10 years probably. My 309 GTi goodwood. Very rare wheels
Had to order a brand new one from peugeot.

I just went back the day after it happened, photo'd the hole, and sent it with the invoice for the work to my car to Lincs county council. Got a cheque back.

172 CUP

Had my 182 around a month now the same thing from when i bought it. The steering wheel is always off centre to the left,it pulls to the left and sometimes feels like its snatching to the left where luckily touch wood ive managed to dodge bumping a kirb,I was driving down the m62 tonight hit a bit of a bend at 70 to the right and it felt like the car was turning but for a second or two then felt like the steering wasn't responding at all then it tries to vere off to the left' quite worrying really not sure where to start either,plus now on full lock stationary makes an awfull catching noise :-(

Many.

First thing for you^ to look at is how centred the wheel is in the arch, If it looks about right, just get the tracking done. Otherwise, it'll need some investigation into what is bent.