ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat Glowing red hot!!!!

NEED V6!
Had my gasket from the downpipe to the cat replaced on friday ever since this the car has felt down on power, then the other night from coming bk from mate's the car just would not go. Got home out the car smelt like burning lokked uder the car an the cat was glowing red I was shocked.
As soon when the the chapp had fitted the gasket the light appeared on the dash for gas monitor warning went down the road to check that all was ok but no, car did'nt wanna go over 20 mph looked like it was going to stall so took it bk the the mechanic he drove around said everything was fine.

what should I do.

john

Mondeo TDCI 130
Sounds to me like the exhaust is possibly blocked / cat collapsed. Does it make a lot of induction noise? usually a sign.

LY 182
you sure its not missfiring?
that would throw fuel down the exhaust and make the cat glow red hot

Mondeo TDCI 130
It sounds weird the way it only happened after the exhuast job, could just be coincidince though i suppose!!

172 cup'd extreme
To me it sounds like its mis-firing the cat will be glowing because of extra fuel being thrown into the exhaust.
Check all the plugs and leads and coil pack are all tight. The leads may have got wet causing them to arc (same symtoms) spray them with wd-40 to get rid of any moisture.

ITB'd MK1
sounds either VERY lean or an exhaust blockage to me. It may have been a blockage that caused the gasket to fail to start with and now it's sealed you have huge back pressure. For test purposes, make it blow at the post cat join and see if it gets anything back. I'd want to plug it in to diagnostics too

I don't know if its just me, but if there was excess fuel going down the exhaust and getting ignited at/in the cat area.

Wouldn't that f**k that cat ?

Meaning a new one is needed. :(