ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat for 182 manifold on a 172

I've got a 182 manifold fitted to my 172 Cup
My MOT is due in march - I'm sure you can see where this is going

They're connected at the moment with a link pipe that was "home made" - no cat

What's my options for a cat to make it road legal? Is it just the K-Tec sports cat that's £300?
Can you modify the standard 182 cat to fit?

Also with throttle bodies and an Omex if I bought a sports cat - or had one made - would it last or will it get destroyed by the bodies running without a lambda sensor?

To be honest I'd rather run a cat/sports cat full time as it's too bloody loud without one

172 cup, Impreza P1
Think the standard 182 cat is longer than the space from the manifold to the centre section.

Yeah - I'm just wondering if you can chop the end off (the bit that has the 2nd lambda in) and weld it shorter?

To be honest I'm thinking of ditching the K-Tec stealth, buying a sports cat (£70 off ebay) and then having a full manifold back system made with a 2.5" outward rolled tailpipe cut into the bumper

I think it'll work out cheaper than paying £300+ for a sports link pipe from K-Tec lol

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Has it passed MOT's ok with it on?

Yes no issues last year with it passing although this year it failed the emissions (well I still got a pass, but the emissions were well over the 'pass rate') but the MOT tester put it down to a faulty lambda sensor rather than the CAT.

Does anyone have any pics or a guide or anything on how you chop the 172 cat to fit?

I'm really struggling with this - 182 manifold -> K-Tec link pipe -> Oreca Group N
My MOT is in 7 days and I can't find any cats that will fit other than the £320+ sports cat link pipe of K-Tecs which to be honest is a rip off :(

I actually don't mind if the cat is in permanently (as long as it plays nicely with the ITB's) as I don't really want exhaust noise
I'd buy a magnaflow 200 cell sports cat and weld it in if I was sure it would pass MOT

The ITB's have narrowband control below 4k and it sits at 14.7 on the wideband - so fuelling wise it SHOULD be bang on

Arghghh :(

I don't think you're understanding

I've got a 182 manifold - they come right down under the car - then I've got a 172 exhaust system
The space between manifold and exhaust is only about 10" :(

Impreza Wagon
Chop the 172 exhaust shorter, have the pipe expanded. Then chop the flange off the cat and fit them together? I did this on my 106 when I had a pugsport fitted for MOT time.

Not the same as your set up as I still have the 172 manifold fitted but my cat has been modified so it allows me to remove the cat alot easier (basically in the same position the 182 cat is). Bare with me and I'll try and find a photo of it.

DSC00038.jpg

You'd obviously need a different type of flange welding to your cat pipe to allow it to attach to the manifold.

mk2 ph2 172 Flamer
Did the same on mine. Chpped the ph2 cat to fit 182 manifold, just need to make sure the flanges are in the right position before you weld it all up.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I did mine the other day. Bought the cheapest cat the motor factor had, and cut the ends off to suit the right pipe size, then welded it in using the original 172 flanges

I've just formulated a bit of a plan

The length of the decat pipe is 13" - I can get a magnaflow 200cell sports cat for £75 (8" long), the flanges are £15, and a bit of stainless pipe is about £20. Also need a lambda boss which is about £5

So £115 in parts - find someone who can weld stainless and chuck them some money. Job's a good 'un

Lot cheaper than £320+ that the K-Tec sports cat is!!

Track 172cup
i'll be doing this in a couple of weeks aswell, 182 manifold and 172 yozza race system

got a cat in the garage (not sure if its a 172 or 182) but will need to size it all up and come up with a plan like yourself

I've found a magnaflow dealer in Grantham now and talking to them about making me a proper sports cat up, identical length and fittings to my link pipe - so should be able to switch between them

Will post pics up when I get something sorted