ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbon Lorraine RC5+ Pads

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Evening chaps.

Im replacing the brakes on the Impreza and im looking at replacing Performance Friction Z rated pads to something a bit more "road friendly" The PF pads where epic on track but i find you have to get them hot to work well and if i dive the car for miles with light pedal use then the discs get glazed.

Anyway ive been told that the CL RC5 + will be more suited to my needs, has anyone experienced these?

Cheers

Scott.

Had the CL5's and they do need a bit of heat, and as James mentioned can crumble. Another pad Ive had is the Mintex M1155 and they were a better road pad as they bite cold, didn't crumble and didn't give much dust. Thing is they could be totally different in the 4 pots you have. Also had EBC yellow on my 6MPS and they were also a good road pad.

If it were me though I'd go with the Ds1.11 as they piss all over the above in every respect and last ages.

Not to pricy either if you're car is the WRX, bit more for the STI though.

https://www.gt2i.com/en/ferodo-ds11...do-ds111-front-brake-pads-subaru-impreza.html

Last edited:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I'd say they're about the same mate, really high metallic content in both. CL's tend to crumble more too.
Thank you mate, thats a t**t if they are as i was told they are much better. Dont want to buy a set of pads that are the same as they are not cheap.

Had the CL5's and they do need a bit of heat, and as James mentioned can crumble. Another pad Ive had is the Mintex M1155 and they were a better road pad as they bite cold, didn't crumble and didn't give much dust. Thing is they could be totally different in the 4 pots you have. Also had EBC yellow on my 6MPS and they were also a good road pad.
Cheers mate, ill look into them.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
If it was me I would stick with the PF zrated pads,all the pads that have been mentioned already are not as good as the PF pads.SJ.

I used RC5+ on the valver and thought they were great - excellent bite from cold, and you could feel the retardation increase as the pads got warmer. Don't recall ever suffering any fade with them, although I don't brake that much or that hard on the road and might have only done one track session with them on. (Can't remember now.)

I have been impressed with Hawk HP+, though - similarly excellent bite from cold and inspire a lot of confidence, rather than being 'will they? won't they?' when going for a stop after a long run without using the brakes.

I liked the Pagid Blue as well (might be RS4-2? Can't remember!) - IIRC they are or were used on Lambos at some point, or are a suitable replacement pad.

I'd buy all of the above again TBH.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
If it was me I would stick with the PF zrated pads,all the pads that have been mentioned already I rate behind the PF pads.SJ.
Just the man, im glad you've commented mate. I bought the PF pads from ASP but now im in talks with Tom @ Sprinting hare JDM, im changing my discs over to DBA T3 5000 series, bell and rota set up on the front and standard T3 discs on the rear.
As im spending a few quid it would be nice to get it right, i just found the PF pads needed heat and if you didn't get the heat into them then the first bite felt crap because the discs had glazed with all of the light breaking.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
Just the man, im glad you've commented mate. I bought the PF pads from ASP but now im in talks with Tom @ Sprinting hare JDM, im changing my discs over to DBA T3 5000 series, bell and rota set up on the front and standard T3 discs on the rear.
As im spending a few quid it would be nice to get it right, i just found the PF pads needed heat and if you didn't get the heat into them then the first bite felt crap because the discs had glazed with all of the light breaking.
I hear what your saying mate,but it sounds like to me that you have not bedded them in properly,when you are first bedding in a uprated pad you need to transfer pad material to the disc as that is what makes a pad really bite, when a uprated pad is treated too lightly the compound can not bond to the disc properly as your not getting them up to temp so feel wooden.The DBA disc are superb also I ran them when my Subaru was at around 400bhp and with the PF pads would make for a good setup.SJ.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I hear what your saying mate,but it sounds like to me that you have not bedded them in properly,when you are first bedding in a uprated pad you need to transfer pad material to the disc as that is what makes a pad really bite, when a uprated pad is treated too lightly the compound can not bond to the disc properly as your not getting them up to temp so feel wooden.The DBA disc are superb also I ran them when my Subaru was at around 400bhp and with the PF pads would make for a good setup.SJ.
Thanks again mate, when i first bought the PF pads i didnt bed them in because i didn't know, after a chat with Alyn he sent me the bedding in process. i removed all of the discs and de-glazed them, i then went off and bedding them in as per instructions.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
Thanks again mate, when i first bought the PF pads i didnt bed them in because i didn't know, after a chat with Alyn he sent me the bedding in process. i removed all of the discs and de-glazed them, i then went off and bedding them in as per instructions.
Just try to remember mate that a performance pad is just that.....and has to be used as such,You have the right pads believe me I have been using the PF compounds for over 13 years now on road and track, and they have never let me down:up:.SJ.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Just try to remember mate that a performance pad is just that.....and has to be used as such,You have the right pads believe me I have been using the PF compounds for over 13 years now on road and track, and they have never let me down:up:.SJ.
So shall i buy a new set of PF for the new front and rear discs?

Maybe i need to learn to brake later. 😂

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
So shall i buy a new set of PF for the new front and rear discs?

Maybe i need to learn to brake later. 😂
I always like to get everything fresh if I can afford to if not,i wait to i can afford,so the brake setup wears down together,the problem with using old uprated pads on new disc is that the disc can wear down unevenly.SJ.