ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbon Bonnet - Lacquer fail?

Audi TT
Got a Ktec bonnet and the lacquer has failed everywhere on the bonnet now. It's matt in most places and has no shine to it. Only ever washed with a lambswool mitten using AG shampoo and polished with SRP and topped with EGP. It's getting worse with each wash but looks a total mess now :dead:

Anyone know whether this can be sorted by a bodyshop? Re-lacquer it or something? I'm guessing they need to take the shitty stuff off first but how would you go about that with it being carbon not metal?!? I know nothing about bodywork so help please.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
well it cant be that old can it talk to ktec as they have obviously used inferior lacquer . and it would be very very hard to re laqcuer the bonnet and keep it looking good .

SG9 Forester STi
I noticed the ktec 197's bonnet was the same (at FCS). I'd take it back to them.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Good quality products then!! :(
Like my ktec 182 exhaust aswell, the welds broke and starting blowing like f**k :(

Yep :( but it fairness to K-tec it's 18 months old and done about 22-25k and is covered in stone-chips.

Tbh i'll probably get a Renault splitter next.

Have you got any pics of it GStar?

Mk2 172
I used to have a kevlar procomp one on my old saxo many years ago and never ever once had a single problem with it. Sounds like its been made cheaply to me!!

Audi TT
When I first got it there was a slight clouding effect in the front corner which I raised with K-tec. After some polishing it seemed to lessen the appearance so I spoke to them and they gave me a credit note which at the time we both thought was fair. It has however gotten really bad now. I've re-contacted K-tec and they've said they're looking into it and raising it with their supplier as they've not had any other issues brought to their attention. So really I'm waiting to hear from them. Not slating K-tec with this as their customer service in particular from Elliot there has been good in general.

Here are pics from last year when first fitted and I spoke to K-Tec about the "clouding" as it then was.

IMG_2582.gif

IMG_2581.gif

IMG_2576.gif

Here is the state I'm in now and in fact it looks worse than these pics after the last wash. The area around the washer jets has gone white now :'(
Washer fluid has always been halfrauds premium pre-mixed stuff so not my own paint stripper type concotion before anyone says!
IMG00165-20090628-1647.gif

IMG00164-20090628-1647.gif

IMG00163-20090628-1646.gif

IMG00162-20090628-1646.gif

IMG00161-20090628-1646.gif

IMG00160-20090628-1646.gif

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
Yep :( but it fairness to K-tec it's 18 months old and done about 22-25k and is covered in stone-chips.

Tbh i'll probably get a Renault splitter next.

Have you got any pics of it GStar?
i kinda agree with you but there again would you be happy spending £400 ish or however much every 2 years on a carbon bonnet , it willprobs be cheap lacquer that they have used .

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
oh i thought i saw some were that they use 2k lacquer but may have been another company maby SC .

1.2 16v Clio
I hope you don't use the SRP after every wash?

If so, don't mention this to KTec as SRP contains cutting agents which will cut a layer of clearcoat (lacquer) off everytime you use it. Therefore after a lot of use the shine of the car is removed as there is less clearcoat.

Obviously KTec is using S H I T lacquer too but the SRP does not help either

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

If so, don't mention this to KTec as SRP contains cutting agents which will cut a layer of clearcoat (lacquer) off everytime you use it. Therefore after a lot of use the shine of the car is removed as there is less clearcoat.

its hardly got any in, you would have to be doing once a day to cut lacquer like that!

1.2 16v Clio
its hardly got any in, you would have to be doing once a day to cut lacquer like that!

The fact that it contains cutting agents and is being used regularly means that it will in fact cut down the clearcoat alot but it was obviously cheap poor lacquer they are using as I stated before

SRP contains fillers and has no abrasives at all, it just masks swirls/scratches so won't have caused these problems

not being a dik but thought id point it out

Audi TT
I don't use SRP after every wash no. And if it could cut lacquer like this after <5 applications I'd be very worried about using it on any paintwork. AFAIK SRP doesn't have a cutting effect just a filling one anyway.

I think I got the bonnet in October/November time last year so it's not even 12 months old yet.

Clio 172 Ph 1, Espace Dci
I've got a KTEC carbon bonnet.No probs with it yet 6 months in, and left out in all weathers. Seems like yours has some very small scratches on it. I wash mine carefully and ONLY wax it, definately NO POLISH whatsoever. Just use Turtle Wax Hard Shell (it's up to about 15 coats now!) and wash off bugs, birdie splats and mop up any pools/drops of washer fluid after clearing the screen. Water the washer fluid right down too.

GreenMan

clio ph2
had the same marks on my k-tec bonnet they are really cheaply made when u sit them next to the likes of seibon carbon part were the lacquer is much better with more coats ended up just gettin rid of it and the clio lol

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
That is kinda crap, off topic slightly but is this bonnet a carbon cover as such or 'pure' carbon?

Audi TT
Think they're CF over FRP. Still nothing from K-tec. They said were getting onto supplier about it and that was on the 1st July :(

MK2 PH2 172 cup
sounds like it could have been done useing rfu ( ready for use ) single pack lacquer which has no hardner just spray it on and let it dry, where as 2 pac has to be mixed with a hardner and is a lot tougher.
not good :(

Breaking mk2 DCI
been into the jap scene for years and people always said when you buy anything carbon 2k laquer it asap with decent laquer to protect the standard stuff as its made to be sold for profit not to last till 2086

Audi TT
been into the jap scene for years and people always said when you buy anything carbon 2k laquer it asap with decent laquer to protect the standard stuff as its made to be sold for profit not to last till 2086

I didn't expect it to last 100 years but it's less than 12 months old!

Breaking mk2 DCI
its something to do with the way carbon holds/attarcts heat or summit, i had a 900 quid c-one vented bonnet which went the same way but was about 3 years old, but its was a proper carbon jobbie not just a skin, i'd likea carbon one for the clio and paint it

bic

Land Rover Discovery
for the record peeps to help, the bonnet in the pics has no lacquer on it, it is a gel coat finish, and form the looks of things not very UV stable among other issues. Even if you prepped the panel and relacquered the panel there is no telling what may happen as the gel coat is still going to be there underneath lacquer (may be okay if the lacquer is obviously uv stable

The difference between the pictures of the bonnet on this thread that it is wet lay carbon as oppose to pre preg (which we manufacture in) and all our parts are lacquered, wet lay panels are 99% of the time left gel coat finish which is nice and glossy and offers people an affordable look, exchanged for durability and strength

I would get on to ktec and see what they are saying tbh, I know you already have done, but keep on the case, if this happened to any of our products (we are not perfect, no one is) then we generally ask for component back and replace and then look into the defect etc. Its called customer service, and don't for one minute accept (as I so commonly hear) its carbon fibre, thats just how it is ! er ok . . . lol

this is in response to you pm as you said to give my opinion on the problem.

K tec have a good rep, I am sure they will do you well

thanks

Bic

Audi TT
Cheers for the input Bic.

I'm not slating K-Tec. Far from it. Elliot there dealt with my initial probs with my order really well and after showing them the pics of the bonnet when it arrived when I could see there was some sort of minor defect they did give me a credit not for £x as compensation. Obviously neither of us was to know that the bonnet would go on to look full on crappy :(

Sent another chaser as hadn't heard anything in 20 days but just waiting now.

G

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Mines the same, bought it on 19th Jan :(

Ill contact K-Tec this week.