ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Wiring

182, 172 Track Shed
Hi guys,

Currently stripping our 172 to turn into our first track car project and have some questions:

Some of the wires are going to be surplus to requirements (electrical windows, electrical wing mirrors, the wires that run into the standard seats etc etc)

Whats best way of removing these? Just removing them from the loom and following all the way back to the fuse box and then taking them out?

Sorry for the complete noob questions but this is our first project and everything is new to us!!

Joe

330i. E30 Touring.
It all depends how far you want to go with it, really.

Read up on the Burpspeed car if you want to take it to extreme weight saving! If not that far, trace it back, chop it, tape up loom again..

182, 172 Track Shed
Yeah the burpspeed project thread is pretty much my lunchtime reading when at work

First sight of the loom and the amount of wires and I thought f**k me, leave it well alone, but its annoying having wires just hanging about in the door sils and stuff so something will have to be done

Its a shame it looks like the entire loom has to be undone before you can remove even a single wire! :dapprove:

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Just trace them all the way to the bulkhead and snip, i had to do that for a few wires like ESP button/alarm etc on the sport as i dont have it,

are you going to remove them from the engine bay aswell or just the inside?

182, 172 Track Shed
So just following it back until its out of sight underneath where the dash will be, snipping and then taping up the ends may well do the job as it will be massively easier by the look of it

For now just looking at removing them from the interior

On another note the alarm and immobiliser - easier to remove? Worth doing?