ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car will occasionaly not start flashing centre light on dashboard

Renault clio 1.2 16v
ive done some research on this problem i belive its the key fob has any one else had this problem and what do you think it could be?:D

Renault clio 1.2 16v
th_ademsiphone007-1.jpg

Renault clio 1.2 16v
I've got a problem with my Renault Clio which is has been getting steadily worse over the last few weeks, which is either to do with the immobiliser or the key fob.

Basically when I put the key in the ignition and try and start the engine, the immobiliser light in the middle of the dashboard flashes and the engine won't start, as in, it does absolutely nothing. After a couple of attempt the engine turns over but wont start.After about 5-10 min the lioght goes out and it finally starts any help

Renault clio 1.2 16v
i dont have a spare but i still belive its the key fob as i have been on a forum with a guy with the exact same problem and he bought a new key from renault for 150.00 and it solved it but i want to be 100 percent before i go and spend that sort of money whta makes you think its the immobiliser?

172 Race Car
Light flashes and it dont crank if its not recognising the key.

Go to the local key cutting place and get yours 'cloned' for about £30. As long as they can read the chip when you get it done the new one will be fine.

Other thing you can check thats quite easy is the decoder ring. take off the trim around the coloum and around the ignition barrel you will see a plastic ring with wires coming out. Makes sure its not covered with crumbs or mc'ds sauce and disconnect it and reconnect it.

But its more often than not the key as they get dropped/knocked so many times in usual day to day life

VW ID.3
Check the black relays in the fuse box under the bonnet, one of them has something to do with the starting system and has probably got some corrosion on the pins or just swap them around then try starting again.

Renault clio 1.2 16v
Thanks jay ive been to a locksmith and they couldnt read the chip and i dont think anywhere can accept for renault. another reason why i think its got to be the key fob as my key is pretty battered as its missing the hole button and it looks like its been dropped alot also my cuzon had the same problem the other day after he dropped the key and he relised that the key had come apart a bit so he clipped it bck together and it worked.And also dose the trim just pull off?:D

Renault clio 1.2 16v
some say its the crank angle sensor iot ither needs clean or a braND NEW ONE DOSE ANY ONE KNOW WHERE THIS IS LOCATED?

clio 182 'full fat'
ive just had a new key 'cloned' took the guy a couple of attempts to read the codes fully i believe. got a spare made up now tho. £65 quid. better than paying renaults £150-£200

Renault clio 1.2 16v
yeh of course but its the the means of finding a lock smith that dose it ive been to 3 already:( where did u go?

172 exclusive
just had this happen on me 172 exclusive ,1st time in 10 years , change battery in fob all seems to be ok for now

Clio Sport 172
Anywhere in Wolverhampton do this? Just been quoted 140 plus vat to get the key done on mine which sounds steep to me if Renault is doing for less??

Unfortunately got the same issue

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Also got the same issue.

I'll have a look at the decoder ring later and give it a clean etc.

Also, I've heard a few people using a bit of WD40 on the key which seems to cure the problem, perhaps it cleans the decoder ring?

Moogun B95
Easy Way to test they key, SQUEEZE it between finger and thumb as you turn the ignition on, this 9 times out of 10 will make it work correctly.. if so, you have a bad key.