ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car pulls both left and right with heavy acceleration

Hey all,

Have only had my 172 Cup for a few days now but noticed if you accelerate heavily in first or second the car will sometimes just pull of to the right or left (it changes) and significantly raise my heart rate!

Is this due to it being a small car with a lot of power which I am not used to or could it be something bigger that needs some work to correct it?

Cheers
Sam

Clio 182
I take it this is your first quick car? Yup, happens to everyone if you're just planting your right foot and holding on

ph2 Clio 172
yes its torque steer, but dont be flat out in first gear all the time, in any car that is, its very sore on a car, drive shafts, c.v joints, engine mounts, clutch, gearbox etc, theres no need unless your on a drag strip, you wont have as many problems with the car if you treat it right, i only every pull from 2nd gear on even thats very rarely.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I picked my 182 up this weekend and its the first fast car I've had - I love torque steer! I hope I never have to go back to a 1.4 haha.

I take it this is your first quick car? Yup, happens to everyone if you're just planting your right foot and holding on

Yeah it is my first quick car, my 1.4 Fiesta was lacking a bit compared to this...!

yes its torque steer, but dont be flat out in first gear all the time, in any car that is, its very sore on a car, drive shafts, c.v joints, engine mounts, clutch, gearbox etc, theres no need unless your on a drag strip, you wont have as many problems with the car if you treat it right, i only every pull from 2nd gear on even thats very rarely.

Thanks, I will bare that in mind just seeing what it could do as I have just got it .

Thats true to man, he should check all steering arms for wear and tear also, for good measure.

Cheers, it's going in for a cambelt and mini service tomorrow so will ask if they can check these too. I have seen torque steer before but something just feels a bit loose. Will let you guys know whether its just my inexperience! Which it probably is

Bit of a thread bump, but didn't see the point in starting a new one

I've noticed the same in my Clio as the OP, especially when you hit the 'magical 5k kick'

The wheel almost seems to jerk left or right all of sudden for a split second, and give it a straighten up and it's all fine

Seems absolutely fine at constant speeds and when not accelerating fast, just when you give it a boot it does it

Sound like torque steer?

I'm just amazed as I thought these cars didn't have much torque lol

BMW M4; S1000 RR
My 172 always drove straight. If yours is pulling under accerlation (or anything else) then I would be checking suspension components tbh.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
As above really. I put 350+lb-ft through the front of my Volvo on a daily basis and get very little torque steer (It used to be a lot worse before I changed the bottom arms)

Worth looking at rack bushes, TRE's and general suspension wear IMO.