ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car is going back on the road after 13 months

MK1 Mexico, Clio 172
I saw my 172 Cup for the first time in 13 months and it's got me all rather excited and eager to get it back on the road. It's been round my Mums while I was travelling, it's always been a 3rd car that while looked after and lots of money spent on it was always in the back of my mind. Well times have changed we're back from travelling and we have this and a Zetec shed of a Fiesta.

The Clio's been washed regularly and started up while i was away but not driven due to no tax or MoT, a few questions about getting it back on the road.

1) The brake disks are rusted to hell, will this just come off with driving
2) Should I get it trailered to a garage and have a Full service done before I attempt to drive it anywhere (e.g MoT station)
3) Is a full service enough after this period of inactivity or should I get other things looked at.
4) I've got 4 new R888 tyres on 2118's in the boot, will they be okay or will they have gone off. Also new R1R's on the car, will they be okay?

Immediate plans for the car, sports exhaust, rear ARB, alloys refurbished, sort out the murky headlights, send broken resistor pack off so my heating works and lots of track days.

Thanks

Audi A5
Personally I would book it in some where for an mot, on route work the brakes alot to remove the surface rust and let them decide what the tyres etc are like condition wise.

R888's should be fine as their new so they won't of gone through any heat cycles yet.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
My old cup was stood longer than that and I just booked it on for an MOT which it flew through.

My local mechanic picked the car up as I wasn't insured on it and I just told him to work the brakes to remove the rust and he did.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
For the sake of safety, oil service and new brakes with brake fluid change. You could have the cleaned/skimmed etc but is it worth it?? Tyres are fine.
Chris
DetailMe

Wouldn't worry we often have cars that are standing in for MOT , 13 months isn't that long ! Tyres should be fine , brakes should be okay but for the sake of it I'd have strip cleaned up , pads have prob gone a little hard so take the face off!

Wont do any harm doing a oil and filter ! But again most do them yearly or 6 months anyway !

Renault Clio RS182
I had a car parked up for about a year. I did run run it almost every weekend. I booked it in at halfrauds for a half price mot. Basically they gave me a definative list of things to do, rather than me spending hours poking about the car looking for problems in the cold wet weather. Worth the £27 imo. As above, oil & filter change and check the brakes. My rear calipers had siezed although the car was run around the (private) estate every now and again.