ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car has just broken down - Any suggestions?

A silver one
Hello,

Car is a 54 reg 182. Had it's 36,000 mile service (plus cam belt, etc.) done at Birchdown last April and is now on 41,486.

I drove it the 8 miles to work this morning with no problems or complaints at all.

About half way home (4ish miles) the car developed a squeak from underneath which sounded like suspension or brakes. I thought this might be to do with the cold and after a couple of minutes it stopped. Around 1 mile from home I stopped behind a bus and the engine cut out without any warning. I started the car and the revs were instantly lumpy and the dash lights were dimming.

I managed to limp home with the engine cutting out each time I stopped. I've just had it running outside. The car struggles to hold any revs and when you give it any gas lots of black smoke billows from the exhaust, there is also a very strong smell of petrol outside the car when it is running.

Does anybody have any clue what could be wrong?

cheers in advance,
Matt

GTD, Lupo
Yeah sounds like a misfire to me. Check or change the usual stuff and start with the cheapest.

Paul

fiesta 1.25
Most likely to do with the cat or the manifold gasket but id check everythings plugged in properly first i.e the throttle plug ( dont know its name) and the HT cables

Da

Less
As Gaz says, I had all your symptoms and it turned out to be the MAP sensor, try unplugging it then starting the car.

A silver one
Cheers for all your advice guys. I really haven't got a clue when it comes to cars. Are all the above major big money jobs?

As Gaz says, I had all your symptoms and it turned out to be the MAP sensor, try unplugging it then starting the car.

Where is the MAP sensor? Should I try and start the car without it in, or should I replace is first?

cheers,
Matt

Da

Less
If you remove the engine cover, the MAP sensor is located on the drivers side of the plenum. Leave it in situ and unplug the connector that goes to it, then start the car and see how it responds.

Do you know anyone local with a 172/182 that you can borrow a sensor from to check?

There's some pictures in my thread.

A silver one
If you remove the engine cover, the MAP sensor is located on the drivers side of the plenum. Leave it in situ and unplug the connector that goes to it, then start the car and see how it responds.

Do you know anyone local with a 172/182 that you can borrow a sensor from to check?

There's some pictures in my thread.

Cheers for that. Just seen the pics in your thread. Unfortunately I don't know anybody else with a Renaultsport so can't check it. Think it will have to be a garage job tomorrow.

Da

Less
Well if you do take it to a garage, be warned that the MAP sensor is circa £100 from Renault.

I managed to get one for less than £30 in the end and fitted it myself, shame you're so far away.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Cheers for that. Just seen the pics in your thread. Unfortunately I don't know anybody else with a Renaultsport so can't check it. Think it will have to be a garage job tomorrow.

Try and get it to birchdown? Limp it down!

phase 2 clio 172
dash lights dimming?
aux belt failure/alternator ceased?
that would account for the noise/dimming,and with low voltage the wrong ecu signals,low fuel pressure,injector pulse etc etc,just a thought...

A silver one
So I've just been out to the car to scrape the ice off it etc. I thought I'd try it, and started with no problems. Left it running for 5 mins with no problems and then took it for a drive, again with no problems. Weird.

Still going to get it checked out today is something obviously isn't right?

audi a6 3.0tdi
my old ph1 did that a couple of times if i went fast in the rain on the motorway. it always used to be fine as soon as it had dried out a bit. i always put it down to water getting into the plugs.

my original thread 2 years ago from when i panicked.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=194486

i had nothing done to the cars and the engine is still going strong. do you run it with the engine cover off? i found it happened less when i had the cover on.

Last edited: