ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car finance, the get-outs and loopholes?

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
Hi guys,

I'm pondering my options at the moment, I had my first Clio on Renault Finance and paid £148 a month for 2 and half years, I then traded it in last December for another new Clio Dynamique SX Turbo. Nearly a year on I'm a bit bored and to be honest regret slapping myself with a montly price increase of £90. I now pay £238 per month for the new Clio and to be honest, it's nice but it doesn't seem worth it to me.

I've recently seen many ads in the paper from Vauxhall dealers and such like where they in one instance offer a Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi with a Dealer Deposit of £3000, free servicing for 3 years and some nice added extras on the vehicle. I know they are introducing the Insignia which is why they are getting rid of Vectra's but I quite like them. I also fancy a change from Renault. The fact my Clio costs OTR £11150 and has no air-con, no leather/half leather or any real refinements annoys me now but didn't at the time. Alright, it's got better alloys and a body kit ontop of the standard Clio and looks externally very nice, but after looking at the Vectra on the forecourt yesterday with the nice alloys and then moving onto the nice interior I'm sort of persuaded to take it further.

Question is, how does Dealer to Dealer finance work. I've spoken to a few work mates and the basics are apparently the new Dealer will pay your old Dealer off and take on the finance themselves, but surely that leaves me massively out of pocket as I then owe Vauxhall for the Clio AND the Vectra. Surely that can't be right? However my car is worth more than the Vectra so surely it can't work any other way as otherwise they'll end up owing me money? I understand none of these options are probably great, and chances are I'll keep the Clio and get out of the finance in a couple of years, my partner qualifies as a Nurse and has a guaranteed job in January so an extra 20k income per annum is my lifeline. The only option I can think as to how they'd work is to give my car a trade in value, offset that against the settlement figure of the Clio and then either add the shortfall onto a new agreement on the Vectra or if the Clio ends up having a small amount of money in it taking it off the Vectra and so on?

Also, what makes me think there is always "A Deal to be Done" is that the day I picked mine up from Renault, they had a delivery of a 197 and I stood and watched them offload it. I also had a quick peek inside and sat in it. The guy that sold me mine said "So, I'll see you back in a few months when you've had enough for one of these then?". At the time I just laughed, but why would he say that as I'd just signed a 3yr deal. I think these 3yr deals aren't worth the paper they are written on and you can probably do quite a lot regarding movement with the Dealers. Also, with the economic climate the way it is, perhaps they are going to be more eager to get rid of cars and I might be able to strike a better deal?

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

C63 AMG
Your car is worth X and the finance is worth Y. The dealer takes your car off you for X and and pays off Y, leaving you with Z left to pay off (Z = Y - X).

You then take the new car on finance + Z and pay this off over an agreed number of months (say 48 months).

You can borrow up to 15% (I think) on top of a new cars price. If Z is greater than 15% then you must find the rest (Z - 15%).

Does that make sense?

clio 172
keep the clio till its paid off...then save and buy out right!

if you dont like the burden of paying for it, it will only be worse when you have to pay more for the vectra.

you'll enjoy the clio more once its paid for!

Chocolate Bar™
you'll enjoy the clio more once its paid for!

+1

i'd stick with the clio till its paid off and then swap it as i personally think you'll still be stung quite heavily for swapping over with outstanding finance.

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
Thanks guys,

Rexina Trophy, could you give me a numerical representation of that, using made up figures so I can grasp it a bit better. Never did understand all that X and Y stuff!

Chocolate Bar™
easiest option is to ring the finance company and ask for the settlement figure. then pop down to vauxhall and get an actual PX value for your car.

easiest way to work out approximately how much you will be in/out of pocket.

say your Clio is worth 10k and the vectra has a price of 9k.

The dealer gives you 10k for the Clio, to go towards paying off the Clio finance, which is say 11k

So in theory you owe 1k still on Clio finance, this is added to the vectra, and pay 10k for the vectra.

All very rough