ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car dilemma

clio 200
evening all,

I am hoping you chaps can help me and the wife make a decision on our next car. We have narrowed it down to 2 (they are a little bit different to each other.
car 1 (my choice) 2008 Clio 197 cup in white with Recaro seats
ejy4ugar.jpg

the finance offer on this is our old car and 48 payments of £160 and at the end it's ours to keep.

Her choice is a 2009 Newest shape Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
F0443A51-0ACE-416B-ABB1-EB96ECF241BE-976-00000048BA883B50.gif

This is a PCP deal of our old car with 3 years at £160 but includes 3yrs warranty and servicing.
2 questions...
1. which would you choose
2. what is a 197 like to live with (we have had a 172)

cheers

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Why would you not?

I'd pick the Fiesta. But only because I'm not really a fan of the Clio, not because I think it's technically better.

clio 200
yes hence why I picked the clio. MPG isn't really important as it will only do 20 miles a day. I forgot to mention the Clio has 19975 miles on the clock and the fiesta has 35000.

I know this is a Clio forum but I also know most people will give an honest opinion

george 172,205,metro
fiesta i agree if u were wanting good mpg commute ect and to do lots of miles,
but for grin factor and generally a more fun car as by the sounds of it is what she is after then clio with recaros ect every time
plus IMO the clio is more flashy/looks better

I work for Ford and drive a Fiesta Zetec S 1.6tdci as my demo.

Bought my girlfriend one for her to drive day to day as she's is doing 20,000 miles a year so is worth it. They are great to drive, look good and mpg we both get 58-63mpg and £20 tax is nice a year.

I have the 200 for weekend use so equivalent to the 197 you are using. Fantastic drive, feels a touch more special, cornering and pace is good.
Tax and mpg are going to be worse but the miles you are doing I don't think you need a diesel for economy reasons.

What is the end figure on the Fiesta PCP?

172 PH1
If you want a car that is worth next to f**k all in 3 years, but the ford.

if you want an interesting car, with character and drivability which will retain good value of kept well.......

You got it...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

if you want an interesting car, with character and drivability which will retain good value of kept well.......

You got it...

Afpmsl!!!!!!!! Have you seen the price of ZS Tdci's?

Even the Mk6 is worth strong money! Infact the Mk6 ZS Tdci 08 ish on decent miles is actually worth the same as a 197!

The Steering in the Fiesta is mind bogglingly good, from the 1.25 to the ZS it's the best in class. The gearbox is unfair to compare because the Fords are always better.

I'm a Ford fan but love the 197, with the running costs etc and the embarrassing mpg in the 197 i'd buy the Fiesta, petrol or Diesel, they're simply brilliant.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Think of it another way. Road tax and running costs to only do 20 miles s day.

Clio 172
Not really, i have seen some great alternatives before. There's a lot of people who rate other cars as high, if not higher than the clio.

clio 200
TBH there is a lot of love for the fiesta here. I thought the Clio would be a stone cold winner. I guess I would also have to factor in 500 notes for a belt swap next year too?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I can't remember if the Mk7 is belt or chain driven but it'll be half the price of the 197 one.

Dven the Vag ones are cheaper than Renault!

Fiesta belt is 10 years or 100,000 although I'd get it done a touch before then.

As Gally said the Fiesta holds there value well especially a Zetec S and especially the diesel. As much as I love them they won't excite you like the 197, they're just a really good car.

RX7 FD
I would have the fiesta too. The 197 leaves me cold and I am betting the Ford would be a riot to drive!

If only they would RS the damn thing I'd px the Trophy in a flash!

I know what you mean Dave, the Trophy is epic!I had one before the 200 I've got now.I'll drive the ST and let you know, at least it can be easily tuned for extra bhp....

Well the standard Fiesta goes round corners really well so I'd hope the ST will be awesome!

Going back to the topic, the new facelift Fiesta is due out this/next month which might affect the value of the Fiesta you are looking to buy.

Although thinking about it, the new RS Clio is out next year too!

is a fiesta st quicker than any of the clio 2.0L

ooops

The new Fiesta ST has the 1.6 ecoboost 182ps engine so 0-62mph is shown around 6.9seconds so Clio pace.

With the turbo in gear torque should be good too so yes it will up there with the RS Clio's.

Once remapped......

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Of those two, the Fiesta all day long.

Properly excellent cars.

That one's the right colour too !

You got it...

ROFFLECOPTORS.

CS gold.

clio 200
just to finish the thread I put my money on the fiesta due to 60mpg, cheap tax and shorter contract deal

thanks for all your comments

Nothing at the mo :(
Just so you know. no fiestas ar reaching MPG figures, on the ford forum plp are struggling to get 50mpg with the diessels

Something Not French
I've got a 11 plate ZS TDCi, previous car was a 200, so I'm well placed here.

The obvious first, Clio is faster, better handling and turns heads. Fiesta handles well but with light steering (little feedback), brakes are average (drums at rear), but generally a nicer place to be. My missus has got a 57 ZS TDCi (from new) and current gen fiesta is leagues above it. Think of it as a small focus rather than a fiesta. We went to Devon in hers 2 years ago, it was a tiresome drive. Did Cornwall in mine this year with no aches or anything.

Get the Diesel. Not wanting to open a can of worms on here (usual petrol v diesel debate) but the 1.6 petrol isn't very good (I've driven both), Road tax is £135 vs £20, I can average 53mpg driving badly and I got 61mpg going to Cornwall (I get 540miles to 40 litres). I got 27mpg consistently in the 200, 31mpg once. If you're looking at an 09 plate Fez diesel, it will be the previous gen engine (£30pa roadtax). Engine is essentially the same, but noisier. They tend to sh*t crank pulleys (badly designed) and water pumps leak from the the shaft seal. Bar that, their excellent.

I miss my 200 on the odd occasion, when the extra power would be nice. The rest of the time, the Fiesta is the better car day to day. And I'm richer for it.