ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car died on way home from work.

Phase 1 172
Hi guys.
As some of you may be aware I have recently joined the site after buying myself a phase 1 172.
Anyway on the way home from work tonight I was stopped dead in traffic and the car just cut out. I then tried turning it over to start it and it failed to start after several attempts. As at this point I'm holding up a lot of traffic I decided to push the car to the side of the road. After attempting to turn it over after a min or so it started but rev'd to about 3k revs for a while before settling.
Me personnally I think it's maf sensor related but I just wanted any second opinions or know of anyone else who has experienced this in the past.
Thank you in advance
Dave

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Experiences of cars turning them selves off in the past for me have been crank sensors. It's a common problem on clios and I had it on a lupo as well.
Did you notice if the fuel pump was running when you were trying to restart it?
If the IAT/MAP sensor lost connection it would turn the car off but then wouldn't prevent restart. Try running the car with them unplugged, if the difference is very small I would look else where.
Were the lights on the dash doing anything, any particular ones staying on?
Get it plugged into any old code reader as at least that will point you in the right direction.

BG182 FF
I have never had my car cut out on me but I've had it a few times not starting and it turned out to be the crank sensor.

Phase 1 172
Experiences of cars turning them selves off in the past for me have been crank sensors. It's a common problem on clios and I had it on a lupo as well.
Did you notice if the fuel pump was running when you were trying to restart it?
If the IAT/MAP sensor lost connection it would turn the car off but then wouldn't prevent restart. Try running the car with them unplugged, if the difference is very small I would look else where.
Were the lights on the dash doing anything, any particular ones staying on?
Get it plugged into any old code reader as at least that will point you in the right direction.
Hi.
I couldn't hear for the fuel pump as most people behind me were to busy peeping the horn at me.
As for the lights it was the 1st thing I noticed was there were no other lights on the dash than the airbag and serv light which were already on.

Mec 350 slk manual
Well seems a common issue so I'm hoping that this is the cause.
Thanks all for help so far it's much appreciated
Check under the bonnet on the relays might need a clean also the old crank censor if it's black you need the new blue one

Phase 1 172
Doing some research on the Web it does seem that crankshaft sensors only are at fault if car won't start at all. Is this wrong?

dan's cast offs.
euro, get a facet one.

doubt it's your sensor though as there is no reason why they would cause high idle.