ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car detailing help :D

Harrro,

Im looking to get into detailing abit more now. I want to step up from hand polishing with AutoGlym to some more superior products. Im after abit of help if u can offer it.

Ive just purchaced a few goodies from instruction of those at detailingworld and especially Jamie from here (thankyou :star:) :

• The meguiars G220 DA Buffer.
  • Menzerna Final Finish.
  • Menzerna Intensive polish at about 7/10 cut and 7/10 glaze.
  • Lake country black buffing pad
  • Lake country yellow buffing pad
  • Sonus clay
  • And some blue tape.

Im after some resonably easy to apply and mainly CHEAP wax for a black car. What else will i need too? i have all the usual AG products and towels etc. etc.
Any help would be great

Thanks,

Nic

Megane 225
Swissvax Onyx is great for black, if your on a budget though Victoria concours is great too!

Getting black to look good is all in the prep, so you should be onto a winner with what youve got... Do you have QD for the clay?
Wax wise you could consider all the usuals, Collinite 476s is cheap (~£12) and has great durability, all depends on how often you are planning on topping it up and keeping it maintained. Or you could go for a sealant like jetseal or werkstatt. Your choice.

JD and co will be along soon ;)

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
id think that the 'final finish' thing you have listed would be a wax based product.

failing that meguiars cleaner wax that you get with the clay kit or step 3 of their system 'carnauba wax'

or

natty's, you apply it with your fingers and the results are outstanding

Hi bud,

You need a sealent in there like Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection/Chemical Guys Blitz/Jeffs Werkstat Acryllic to seal the freshly polished paint work. Tend to do as many layers of this as I can, so around 4-8.

P21s (now called R222 but I refuse to abide by the new name lol) is a very good, all round, cheap budget wax and will look great.

Collinite's 476 is very hard wearing but can occasionally mask colour, but on black shouldn't make so much difference.

There are many, many waxes out there and in all honesty it is down to personal taste/experience and, of course, budget.

Jamie

id think that the 'final finish' thing you have listed would be a wax based product.

Its a finishing/buffing polish.

failing that meguiars cleaner wax that you get with the clay kit or step 3 of their system 'carnauba wax'

Awful stuff :S sorry!

Not very hard wearing wax, won't last and for the price there are much better newbie waxes out there.

But all IMO and experience :) Not a "get at you" quote ;)

or

its a super fine finishing polish to remove light swirling ( induced during machining) and restore shine methinks.

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
i need to get my hands on some new stuff i think,

iv always found the meguiars stuff good apart from their paint cleaner.

i need to get my hands on some new stuff i think,

iv always found the meguiars stuff good apart from their paint cleaner.

It is a bit of a "halfords/n00b/rush it" product mate, in all honesty.

Detailing can go on and on in terms of products and costs, but even when I was first starting out I went above that type of product.

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
It is a bit of a "halfords/n00b/rush it" product mate, in all honesty.

Detailing can go on and on in terms of products and costs, but even when I was first starting out I went above that type of product.

very true. but i live in scotland so i have to rush it because if its sunny it doesnt stay sunny for very long lol.

what would you guys say is best to use for bringing up a really good shine on my iceberg? iv always used AG SRP and never even looked at any other polish until now

Hand the SRP is good, there are some more recent ones that have come out. They will brighten up the paint work nicely.

Again, not going OTT, I always Machine Polish SRP every couple of months, just to take back the build up of what ever is on the paint work (old waxes/sealents/crap).

Anything more than that, i.e. getting rid of scratches and swirls and the machine comes out with something designed for the machine polisher, like the Menz range above.

Out of interest - why is zymol hardly mentioned on DW?

Also for a cup (172), what would you reccomend as a budget summer wax, around £40 price mark? I am using collonite 476s atm but if there is a better wax for depth / clarity then i'll give it a go.

Mainly because it can be out of the price range of some. It is seen as a bit of a named brand, like buying BMW over Ford. But the reasons speak for themselves. DW is usually about the newer products/bargain options. Hence Dodo getting more of a shout recently.

I love my Natty's Blue wax (not going back on my advice a few posts up) but I detail my car far too often, so it is fine for me. Zymbol Carbon is good. Ali is into his Zymol waxes more than me tbh.

Again, detailing is all about experiences and Natty rules for me :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Good kit you've got there. You'll see decents gain from that. Yellow LC is a harsh pad and you'll 100% need to refine with the finishing product/Pad.

Post up pics before and after.

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
yeah i normally polish, wax it weekly if i can so theres not really a build up of contaminants etc on the car by the look and feel of it but i bet if i was to machine polish it id be suprised at how much stuff is still on the paint.

ST
Yep good kit bar the G220.

Swissvax ONYX is my weapon of choice for finishing black these days.

Also as Fraser said too, its ALL in the prep.

yeah i normally polish, wax it weekly if i can so theres not really a build up of contaminants etc on the car by the look and feel of it but i bet if i was to machine polish it id be suprised at how much stuff is still on the paint.

Have you clayed it recently? Suprising how much crap falls off despite it looking spotless

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Mainly because it can be out of the price range of some. It is seen as a bit of a named brand, like buying BMW over Ford. But the reasons speak for themselves. DW is usually about the newer products/bargain options. Hence Dodo getting more of a shout recently.

I love my Natty's Blue wax (not going back on my advice a few posts up) but I detail my car far too often, so it is fine for me. Zymbol Carbon is good. Ali is into his Zymol waxes more than me tbh.

Again, detailing is all about experiences and Natty rules for me :)

Jamie, i've not used Zymol wax for a couple of yrs and even then that was only Carbon wax. There much for muchness really. All depends on the content of Wax 50%+ and you'll see lovely results. Collonites has one of the lowest carnuba contents, it's just full of chemicals!

Porsche Boxster987S
the yellow lc pad is as ali says - HARSH. Do not just leave it after using that pad. As for waxes i think dodo juice waxes are good as a summer:)clown:) wax and give good results. One layer doesnt last a great deal of time but once a few layers are applied your onto a winner. Dearer waxes though = swissvax range.

the yellow lc pad is as ali says - HARSH. Do not just leave it after using that pad. As for waxes i think dodo juice waxes are good as a summer:)clown:) wax and give good results. One layer doesnt last a great deal of time but once a few layers are applied your onto a winner. Dearer waxes though = swissvax range.

Hmm, ive got the LC orange spot pad for the G. and im a bit worried about using it now. Id rather be using a more aggressive polish on a lighter pad tbh..
Thoughts of what il be using after it? Got some SFX-3 i could refine with?

Porsche Boxster987S
Hmm, ive got the LC orange spot pad for the G. and im a bit worried about using it now. Id rather be using a more aggressive polish on a lighter pad tbh..

i normally use CG ultra buff or Pro Polish on a blue or black LC pad

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
They're ;)

I thought you were on Carbon. What are you on at the moment for the Veely?

Saphir. Was using ONXY.

Listen dude, you can have the hardest compounding pad and it won't damage the paint! It's the product that will induce micromarring etc.

Just spritz the pad to soften it a little, and then play about with the products. Clio's are a piece of piss, try Gloss it extreme cut, it's got a slightly longer work time but works well on the reno's.

No Nic mate, spritzing is the action of spraying lightly, i.e. spraying a light sprinkling of water/quick detailer in this case onto the pad when it's new to soften it up a bit. New pads/freshly washed pads tend to be a little more difficult to start/prime.

3560989682_df4c3800c3_b.jpg

3560163975_16ac7823ca_b.jpg