ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can you re use dephaser pulley and water pump?

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
Right, so I'll probably get a lot of stick for this... Ahah! I'm breaking my old engine to cover some of the costs of that engine swop. Can the water pump and dephaser be reused?

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, if they're in good shape, no reason why not.

You'll need a new water pump gasket though,

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
Yep, if they're in good shape, no reason why not.

You'll need a new water pump gasket though,
Well dephaser was brand new as was water pump. I was recommend not to re use the dephaser pulley as it was never certain what caused the issue of the old engine blowing up. Is this just nonsense? Can that pulley even cause any damage? I think it was because of the timing being out

330i. E30 Touring.
If a dephaser was the issue, it'll come out in bits. lol.

My bet is it's nothing to do with the part, it was the work completed/fitting.

That said, i'd check what was broken on the old engine before i used any bits.

Whip the head off. My bet is valves have said hello to the pistons. Timing issue, not dephaser.

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
If a dephaser was the issue, it'll come out in bits. lol.

My bet is it's nothing to do with the part, it was the work completed/fitting.

That said, i'd check what was broken on the old engine before i used any bits.

Whip the head off. My bet is valves have said hello to the pistons. Timing issue, not dephaser.
Was considering ripping the head of but haven't got round to it yet, but yeah, like you said, probably down to who ever done the work. Here's a photo of one of the valves

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    585.9 KB · Views: 60

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Ah right.
I'm not to clued up on the dephaser but @Budgie knows his stuff so he is good for advice to follow.
Not sure how you check a dephaser for being the culprit?

330i. E30 Touring.
Was considering ripping the head of but haven't got round to it yet, but yeah, like you said, probably down to who ever done the work. Here's a photo of one of the valves

Ah, it's dropped a valve.

On that basis, my assumption would be the dephaser isn't the culprit, and would be alright to re-use.

Audi A4 quattro 2.7
You'll be glad the skyline doesn't have a dephaser to deal with in the next project
Brilliant! I shall be purchasing one in the very near future. It's safe to say that, it and any car i buy will never be as much trouble as this clio! (TOUCH WOOD). I own a classic mini and i thought that would be hell, but biggest issue i have had is with the alternator needing replaced.