ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can someone please give me some suggestions of whats wrong with my car?

extreme flamer
I was out for a drive earlier when these dreaded 2 lights came on:

IMG-20120706-00139.jpg

and
Renfrewshire-20120706-00140.jpg

Most of the people reading this thread will know that they are the electronic fault light and the engine management light, after these came on the car went into 'limp home mode'. I've had this before and my local mechanic got to the bottom of it by changing: The coilpack, The throttle pedal and the spark plugs if I remember correctly (not all at the same time) and it has been serviced roughly 1000 miles ago at the time of MOT test.

It has a slight misfire that just came back when these lights came on and when the throttle pedal is pressed it sounds like there is a slight rattle coming from somewhere which I thought might be the heat shield touching the exhaust but it does'nt seem to be that as the heat shield is solid.

The electronic fault light came on roughly 2 seconds before the engine management light came (probably not important but I want to give as much detail as possible)

I'm thinking it's some sort of sensor thats gone but I'm no mechanic, could someone please give me some ideas of what could be wrong with it as I'm sick of paying mechanics to look at the little french tin, sorry for all the reading but I wanted to describe the fault as good as possible.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice given

extreme flamer
I'm looking to fix it cheap if possible, I've heard main dealers are expensive and I don't have alot of money just now.
Sorry that might have helped, it's a 55 plate mk 2 clio extreme with a 1.2l 16v engine

extreme flamer
Has anyone got any suggestions that I could try apart from the parts that have already been changed? Could I buy a diagnostics machine from ebay to reset the light or does it need to be a renault 'clip' machine?

extreme flamer
I went out and messed around today, took the throttle body out and cleaned it up, took the coilpack out and cleaned up the end of the leads which seemed to be soaked in oil
IMG-20120707-00143.jpg

Im guessing this isnt normal.
The car is running pretty good again and seems to have got rid of the electronic fault light and limp home mode (for now) but the engine management light is still on, would a cheap diagnostics machine off of ebay be able to tell me whats wrong and reset this or do I need the renault 'clip' one?
Or does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong? (its still got a slight misfire but I'm guessing it couldn't be the spark plugs as I got new ones in april at the last service)
I also came across a random hose hanging in my engine bay next to the coolant bottle, is this where it should be or should it be connected somewhere?
IMG-20120707-00144.jpg

Thanks for any help/advice given

extreme flamer
Has anyone got any ideas that I could maybe try before I book it into the garage yet again?
Last night the electronic fault light came on again after going over a speedbump at about 10mph, I dont know if it was something to do with the bump or if thats just when it chose to light up.

Everytime I see it now I want to kick it, its like Renault made these faults up so every now and again they can make money on parts, every part I replace fixes the fault then a while later (could be weeks, could be months) something else will break and give me the same fault with limp home mode.

Any help/ideas appreciated