ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can I change steering wheel angle (is it on a spline)

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Just got car back from being tracked and I noticed it's a tiny bit out pointing to the left.

Is there any chance I could undo the steering wheel, and move it one spline to the right to make it central again? Or would it mess with the steering angle sensor et. al?

Thanks, Daniel

Clio 172
Your tracking is out. Need a 4 wheel alignment pal, if the rears are out the fronts will be out as well if you just get the fronts done.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think the tracking is out as it goes where I want it now and doesn't wander on the road. Just the steering wheel is off centre as if they haven't set it up perfectly central when locking it with the locking device in the car.

Such a ballache as I've got other s**t to be getting on with.

Definitely can't move it a spline then? Is it like a Pentagon spline?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Your tracking is out. Need a 4 wheel alignment pal, if the rears are out the fronts will be out as well if you just get the fronts done.

Actually, 2 wheel alignment would be fine as the rear suspension on a mk2 clio is near enough as damnit, not adjustable.

I don't think the tracking is out as it goes where I want it now and doesn't wander on the road. Just the steering wheel is off centre as if they haven't set it up perfectly central when locking it with the locking device in the car.

Such a ballache as I've got other s**t to be getting on with.

Definitely can't move it a spline then? Is it like a Pentagon spline?

It's on a spline yes, but there is a marked "top" on the spline, so you don't want to be changing that. You've summed it up, they haven't done it properly, centering the wheel is a key factor when doing it ffs.

Clio 172
I don't know much about the Clio suspension set up. I just drive it and fix it when it goes wrong! Didn't know the rears weren't really adjustable on these but now I do! :)

so a front wheel alignment should be enough then? Must have just got it wrong on the OP's car for the steering wheel to be off. Mine is out about 4 degrees, going to have it sorted once the belts are done on Monday.

Jack

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
You can not remove and move the steeringwheel as it has a keyway.

Your tracking may be correct but its not correct with the wheel straight. Which is all part of having the tracking done.

Rs200
At decent garage would test drive the vehicle after the alignment anyway. What equipment is it? Laser gauges or cameras and sensors such as the hunter equipment?

Clio 182 arctic
I think if you want to change it round you can, but you need to file down the keyway so the wheel will locate wherever you put it.
It isn't dangerous as you still have all the other splines holding the wheel but it is a bit of a bodge.