ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can anyone help me diagnose front end noises?

Clio 182
Hi, I've recently come back to the fold having bought a bit of a project 182. I had a Trophy which was standard and immaculate so I'm looking forward to getting my new 182 back similar shape.
I am currently running;
K-Tec Coilovers
No front wheelarch liners
Yoko ADO8R tyres

I've intending to;
Swapout K-Tek Coilvers with Bilstein B14s
Install new OEM top mounts
Install the arch liners
Raise the car back to a height where there is no fouling of arches

I have a few knocks and clunks which I'm trying to narrow down. The first sounds like it's the tyres droning really loud. it's speed related and seems consistent even when braking (so I don't think it's a caliper). I'm thinking this is probably a wheel bearing. I'm going to put the car up on jacks tonight and try to wiggle the tyre around. I would doubt it is the tyres even though the arches are removed? It sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side but that could be just wierd accoustics making me think that.

The second problem is squeaking when turning right whislt under load. (fast mini roundabouts type turns). No idea where to start on this one?

Can anyone help me narrowing down these problems?

Clio 182
It's got Yokohama ado8r on the front (almost new) and PS3s on the back.

The wheel does not seem to have any play in the wheel bearing but there is some wear to the top arch liner. However I'm still not sure it's either of those.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I was going to say tyres. But they are decent makes. Although the ad08's won't be the quietest

Yeah tyres wont be the quietest at all as they are a track focussed tyre. droning is usually a wheel bearing but that said mine did it on the front as the tyre had worn unevenley and was 'flapping' causing a droning noise. Swapped them to the back and it was a bit better.
put new tyres on and its totally gone now :)

Try swapping the tyres left to right, you might find its the inside edge worn unevenly