ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can any garages on here beat these prices?

Liquid Yellow 182
Right took my car to Halfords for that 15 point check because the car was pulling all over the place, seeing as they check brakes, suspension and everything, i thought why not its free.. Then they found alot of things wrong with the car. They have also gave me the prices to fix everything. Right here goes.. Any Garages on here do better?
pic.jpg pic1.jpg

WRX
I'd think most will by about 50% TBH. Shocks roughly £50 each for example. Std front discs and pads £60-70? at a guess. Okay you have to add fitting to those but still.

Last edited:
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
ARB drop link is a £3 part

​I'd want to beat most of that by about 40-50%, there's nothing on that list that isn't a total con

Liquid Yellow 182
Okay right nice one guys, what about roll bar link bushes, front lower arms bushes etc? what would it be for them?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
suspension arms should be £45-50 for a 1.2 (guesstimate) and an hour maximum per side, so £90 worst case. Thats half their quote

I just did an ARB drop link, took 10 minutes. Granted if it was rusted out it would be a half hour job, but still, it's a £3 part

Liquid Yellow 182
lmao so i could get roughly both done for the price of their one. Dan how about coil springs how much are they and easy to fit?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
You could get a full set of lowering springs fitted for less than they've quoted you
Non genuine standard rear springs (fine on a 1.2) should be about £30-£40 each, and 10 minutes to fit

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
The only thing they're close on is the rear wheel bearings, and even those are expensive. because they're a drum rear brake, the shoes can be damaged when removing the drum to get the bearing out, so you might need shoes. not big money though

Liquid Yellow 182
hahaha Halfrauds is a joke! ive been checking prices of stuff on ebay. i could fit most of it my self, saving me more money. are rear springs and ARB bushes easy to fit with right tools? also shock absorbers easy to fit?

Liquid Yellow 182
What im planning on doing is buying a Renault Clio 1.2 that someone is breaking, buy the whole car and then break it myself for the parts and then scrap it. best idea?

Unless you know the parts on it are in good condition I probably wouldn't. I also wouldn't unless you actually need quite a fair few parts that would be I'm good nick, such as trim and so on.

The parts that you need from that list are things that happen over time so the donor car could be in a similar condition. New parts with some warranty too would ensure its all going to last for a while.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
I'd be getting a second opinion and taking it to another garage, one of the Traders off here will look after you

I wouldn't be buying another car to take bits off that's for sure mate

Liquid Yellow 182
I'd be getting a second opinion and taking it to another garage, one of the Traders off here will look after you

I wouldn't be buying another car to take bits off that's for sure mate

what garage would you suggest mate? well i am only keeping the car for half a year so i thought the parts from another car would be okay for now until i buy a 172?

WRX
got mine for £40 off G172
I was only giving rough prices to show far cheaper were available.
The cars at BTM can move so just because it looks rammed, it doesn't mean Fred can't get you in. Also if you use them, let Fred or Danny @ 519 source the parts if they do the work.

get it checked somewhere else, well known scam by these cowboys that they say so much is wrong when it isn't

most people will just tell them to do the work and then they don't even replace half the things they have said need replacing but will charge for doing so

182cup & 172 racecar
They are all the same, a bloke brought his car into my mates garage, he had been to a main dealer for a free check up (Vauxhall), estimate came to £1200!

​Nigel did the lot for £350, and we washed it.

WRX
"There's no such thing as a free lunch"
I would imagine the reality is that half of the list might need changing in the not too distant future but most would probably pass an MOT. For example, the discs probably don't need changing but the pads probably do and Halfords probably recommend changing the discs when doing pads, which whilst maybe viewed by some as good practice, is not necessary most of the time. They're not doing anything wrong but just chancing their arm a bit, hoping that you'll let them do the lot.

Lionel Richie
last time i went to BTM and he had alot of cars in the garage so doubt he would get it on lift.

ring up and book a slot ;) those prices are stupid! WHY THE f**k DID YOU GO TO HALFORDS WHEN I'M 20MIN UP THE ROAD? Either you don't like me or you smoke drugs?