ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Camshaft

Renault Clio RS ph2
What is the best camshaft for fast road use? I have seen AWT, Catcams, Piper and Schrick have different figures of timing and lift so what is the rigth choice?

AWT (BenR) has cams made by catcams to his specs. These are billet cams and are expensive but proven to give good gains.

Pipers are cheaper as they are regrinds GaryG runs them and has 197bhp. Apparently they make a tapping noise due to something (insert technical term here) and are not as good.

Schrick are similar in price to AWTs so I assume are billets. Andy (GDI) is running them on his demo car.

First choice is how much you have got to spend. Then do you want a road or more rally/race (more top end power).

I have AWT mild cams and am very pleased with the torque they produce (205bhp with 177lb/ft). Ben does more aggressive profiles aswell, Rmcardel has these and has 217bhp .

You will also need an SMT or OMEX management system.

IMO go for AWT you can get all the work done under one roof as GDI and AWT share the same building. Plus there are quite a few people on here useing them which must say something about them.

Last edited:
  E92 M3 Monte Carlo
the piper cams are good for the money and the money you save on the cams i'd go polished and ported head, hillpower sell the piper cams at very a very good price

Last edited:
  Renault Clio RS ph2
I am italian so I can't go to AWT or GDI....: I buy the cams and I will get all the work here in Italy.

AWT cams are available also at Catcams (they have a distributor in Italy, so it is simpler to buy them)? and what is the difference in performance between AWT mild and Schirck? and with the AWT more aggressive profile?

The cost isn't a problems.

I have MecTronik managment system.

Thanks.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
BenR is currently in Hong Kong on vacation. He is collecting email and visiting the forums but not as regularly.

He would be able to supply the cams to you in italy (possibly via the catcams outlet you mentioned)

Renault Clio RS ph2
rmccardal said:
BenR is currently in Hong Kong on vacation. He is collecting email and visiting the forums but not as regularly.

He would be able to supply the cams to you in italy (possibly via the catcams outlet you mentioned)

Thanks.

Renault Clio 182 Trophy
Ben has been very clever and by using new billets has been able to obtain a big increase in lift by increasing the diameter of the base circle, but without going to extreme timing, which is ideal for a saloon.