ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Camera Footage, worth it?

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Hi,

I've just bought myself a new Fiesta, and it's amazing how many cars have cut me up since. I used to have a rather loud Clio and no1 went near me! It's mad, I don't drive any different at all.

I've always been tempted to get an on board camera, but would insurance companies take the footage into account?

I know some cases are obvious who's at fault, but say at a roundabout, it's very hard for it to not be 50/50 these days.

If you filmed someone cutting you up and hitting you, would this be considered? Or would they discard it?

( I did attempt to ask Admiral, but the lady didn't seem to understand what I meant)

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I bought an app for the iPhone that did this, cost a bout £4. Total waste because it was always crashing (the app).

I'd like a proper setup though, ever since I was fucked over by a t**t in a van last year.

I've cought some absolute belters on mines. Should really start youtubing them.

BlackVue DR300G.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wanted to set something like this up, something pretty hidden and oem looking. Im always concerned some tosser will blame me for something that is their fault, just because im a young lad in a bright blue clio!

Such a good idea - a guy pulled out on me in the 306 a few months ago straight into my car
Wish I'd had it on video

They're quite a big thing in America - they auto-save the last few minutes if they detect a crash. Really handy for insurance companies (unless you were driving like a dick LOL)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I reckon this is a bargain and you probably be attached to the rear view mirror.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
It's a bit big

This one looks awesome -> http://www.rt3direct.co.uk/blackview-driver-protection-cctv-camera.html?___store=default

Small, discreet and has GPS so it shows you where you were and what speed you were doing when the accident happened. Also records g-force!

Hmm, thanks. I might go for that.

That's what I use.

Hardwired in 24/7.

7093735801_72daf6bef3_b.jpg

7093767289_bf79e21aa6_b.jpg

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Just wired into the interior light, right?

Does it drain the battery much when the car's parked? I see there's a parked mode, can that be turned off?

Just wired into the interior light, right?

Does it drain the battery much when the car's parked? I see there's a parked mode, can that be turned off?

Noooo lol. Right into the fusebox on it's own 12v feed that's always live when the ignition is on.

7093932323_820aeeff59_b.jpg

Would you not be worried that someone would just think 'oo a camera, yoink'?

You wouldn't know it's there and you honnestly can't see it because of the sunband. If my car is gonna get broken into it would be for the headunit, not the camera - which doesn't even look like a camera.

Honnestly, the angle of the windscreen etc means unless you are looking for it then you won't notice it.

That big suction b*****d on the other hand...LOL.

CursedTitanium 182FF
DailyRoads Voyager

main_2.jpg

DailyRoads Voyager is a free application for Android-powered mobile devices, allowing for continuous video recording from vehicles. Essentially, the application acts as a video black box, dashcam or auto DVR, recording everything, but only keeping what the user is really interested in. The user is usually the driver of a car, who can now quickly and safely capture video sequences of important road events.

http://www.dailyroads.com/voyager.php

BlackVue records in 10 min blocks and if there is an "event" triggered then it records a 1 min (or 2 or 3 if set) block.

I've got 4gb card and it just over writes the previous stuff when it's low on space.

These are utter s**te

I bought one for use on track days - it just kept turning off, and when it did record the quality was shocking - you couldn't even make a number plate out

It's kicking around my office somewhere - only used it once lol

This was my recording off one of those, was only £20!

That's better than what I got - but still no use for insurance purposes

Like if that van at 1:09 had pulled out and gone head on into you - you can't see it's reg plate or anything on the video

I'd always go for 720p minimum really

So many clowns on the roads.

Guy joins from left hand slip road. I move to outside lane and he shoots straight accross without even looking going at half the speed of me!

Screen%20shot%202012-04-21%20at%2013.44.13.png

Screen%20shot%202012-04-21%20at%2013.44.41.png

Screen%20shot%202012-04-21%20at%2013.44.51.png

And he then proceeds to make an abusive gesture towards me.

Screen%20shot%202012-04-21%20at%2015.29.53.png

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ive got one of those small recorder things and it wasnt great. Borrowed a go pro 2 and used it this morning on the way to work, love it. Will try it in the car on the way home from work later :)

2003 Clio 172
Adam.

Do you have any uploads of the footage it captures?

Any random footage, just to see how clear number plates are. If you can make out oncoming vehicles numberplates and see faces clearly?

Looks a really nice item and would pay for itself in 1 incident, I imagine.

Here's 2 I have on youtube - it degrades the quality a bit. The HD Version is quite a bit better though.

Clio 182 arctic
Another +1 for the £20 ebay jobby from china. I have had mine about 8months now and its taken a beating tbh, never let me down though.
The only problem you get when you have one of these 'dash cams' is that once you have been running one for a good few months it makes you feel vulnerable if you set off without it on.
Even in a minor collision you can point out to the other party that you have a camera running, it may deter them from changing their story from what really happened.
Brilliant bit of kit though.

clio 182 black /gold
Me and my brother have been looking for one of these for a while. We have seen a couple which is a few ££S but wondering which is best. The amount of idiots which we see is unreal, so it will be worth while.