ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt so what do I need?

172 cup
So my dephaser is on its way out due to the previous owner only getting the cambelt done on 26/04/12 :mad: Anyway I need to know what is the best things for me to change while it's getting done

aux was done on 62k (now on 75k) might as well do?

cambelt kit
dephaser
aux pulley
water pump (never changed by the look of it, worth doing??)

what else do I do why it's all out,
also was going to see about taking to Michael woodford at Staines what would he charge for parts and labour roughly on a cup?

was going to see about taking to Michael woodford at Staines what would he charge for parts and labour roughly on a cup?

I'm not being funny but I think you already know the best person to ask...

It entirely depends what it's already had/not had. E.g. if it's roughly due a 12k/1 year service then it'll obviously need the usual oil, filter, air filter etc. Dephaser will include/necessitate an oil & filter change too so that's covered that.

Gearbox oil & plugs are well worth doing if it hasn't had them in the last couple of years (despite Renault quoting 112k miles (IIRC) for a set of plugs etc)

The other thing that'll get mentioned is cams. If you want some then now's the time as you'll essentially just pay for parts on top of the cambelt change. Whereas if you want cams at a later date then you pay for cams + another £500 odd for labour & cambelt change.

172 cup
Aren't cams and a map over 1k on there own?

wont be be able to do it until the end of the month so I just wanted a rough price

Last edited:
Oh yeah I realise it's a lot of money & I'm certainly not saying that you have to do cams etc. It's just if it's on a long term wishlist it makes sense to do them now. It's exactly like your dephaser scenario!

Dephaser during original belt change would of cost an extra £170 ish.
Dephaser 1 or 2 years later costs over £600 because you need a belt change too.

Cams during a belt change only costs an extra £900.
Cams before the next belt change therefore costs £1400.

Fair enough though. As I said I'm not trying to pressure you into spending best part of £1000 on cams, it just IF you want them then it's 100% one of the "things to change whilst getting belts done" as you put it.

*Note belt changes will be a noticeable amount cheaper if your 172 cup is one of the majority that doesn't have air con fitted.

Clio 182
I'd change water pump also, it's minimal cost. Mine was fine when I had dephaser done, 4months down the line it failed. So a saving on £15, ended up something like £400 :s

172 cup
I'd change water pump also, it's minimal cost. Mine was fine when I had dephaser done, 4months down the line it failed. So a saving on £15, ended up something like £400 :s

im im sure water pump is £70 - also spoke to MWMS today and he said he will inspect it but he's only ever done 2

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Do a water pump, ive always said don't bother. I have a Scenic 1 FR4 on my ramp with a failed water pump (same set-up as a 172/182), bearing has collapsed, took the aux belt off, into the cambelt, wrecked valves and rockers. Best bit is it only had a cambelt kit and aux belt kit 6 months ago lol. Car is just shy of 60k.

172 cup
Do a water pump, ive always said don't bother. I have a Scenic 1 FR4 on my ramp with a failed water pump (same set-up as a 172/182), bearing has collapsed, took the aux belt off, into the cambelt, wrecked valves and rockers. Best bit is it only had a cambelt kit and aux belt kit 6 months ago lol. Car is just shy of 60k.

Being torn between the two, just looking at some threads and slightly confused now - does the cambelt have to be taken off to get to the waterpump on my cup?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
So my dephaser is on its way out due to the previous owner only getting the cambelt done on 26/04/12 :mad: Anyway I need to know what is the best things for me to change while it's getting done

aux was done on 62k (now on 75k) might as well do?

cambelt kit
dephaser
aux pulley
water pump (never changed by the look of it, worth doing??)

what else do I do why it's all out,
also was going to see about taking to Michael woodford at Staines what would he charge for parts and labour roughly on a cup?

My Mechanic lives in Bromley. Renault Master tech.

172 cup
Upon a closer look tonight does look to be early stages of dephaser, 75k and 11 years is somewhat overdue. Michael Woodford will do cambelt kit aux kit and dephaser £460 fitted I think, unsure if there is warranty on that though?