ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt gone....game over???

Righty i've got a blue clio 1.8 16v on a 95 M-reg and i ahve just spentthe best part of £400 getting it through its MOT last month .....and now the cambelt has just broken.i was driving along at about 30mph and the engine just cut out!
the car wont fire now (just turns over) and on removing the dizzy cap the rotor arm is not spinning round when its cranked... so im guess the belts gone ?!
my local garage says there is a chance it hasnt smashed the valves and whatever else but to be honest i can see it happening. its only done 68K
and is in quite good condition !
they are quoting me worst case £500 ??? i can see it ending up being more like £800
can anyone give me some advice ?!
shall i just sell it as is ?! i just havent got the time or money to spend on it !!!!
cheers dom

audi a6 3.0tdi
i'd get them to check it out first. my mates cambelt went in his evo and that only cost 600 to repair that needed valves and everything. so i can't imagine yours costing that much. hope everything goes ok for you

Ph 1 172
at 30 you might be lucky mate..my cambelt went about 6months ago doing 70 and that smashed the pistons but thats about all and i was doing double your speed just take your rocker cover off and strip it a bit to have a look if your not sure what your looking at take some photos theres loads of people on here who can help

172 cup'd extreme
prob better off buying a valver engine that has history or the cam belt done and somone has fitted a willy engine.

Nah cant be bothered with all that!!! i just want a car to get me to work and back. how much shall i put it up for ??
5 months Tax
11 months MOT
new battery new cat back exhaust
68K miles
i haven't got the time or interest in fixing it lol :rasp:

2005 Nissan Navara
there will definately be valve damage.

cheapest thing to do would be just replace the head.

where are you based....i can fix it or buy it lol

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
cheapest thing to replace the head - that wont be cheap.

you have only bent some valves and there not that pricey from motor factors.

you would need - cambelt kit,alt belt,set of valves at the most,headset and headbolts.

Valver
cheapest thing to replace the head - that wont be cheap.

you have only bent some valves and there not that pricey from motor factors.

you would need - cambelt kit,alt belt,set of valves at the most,headset and headbolts.

2nd hand valver head is under £100. New valves etc plus labour is going to cost much more than that ? Unless you do it yourself but quite time consuming!