ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cambelt advice please

phase 1 flamer 172
Got the crank pin in, and the horseshoe, put on pulley locks and have loosened everything and removed bottom pulley. In the manual it says the slot in the end of the crank (presumably means the keyway) should be in line with the engine centreline, while its hard to be exact I think its more in line with the inlet cam. Any help anyone, thanks.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You 100 % got it into the correct poistion on the crank?

I put a screw driver in number one and rock it back and forward untill I feel the piston rise and fall.

Then you can just hold a bit of pressure on the pin untill it slots into the crank.

As long as the pin is in the correct position and the horse shoe is in the back of the cams then that's good enough for me.

Id stop worrying about the other bit's.

phase 1 flamer 172
Yeah, I was quite happy that the crank was in the right place until I saw the bit in the manual, thanks for all your advice.

phase 1 flamer 172
OK now the bloody tensioner, I understand that the little arrow has to line up with the little "u" cut out, my problem is they don't seem to be moving separately to each other, I definitely had the tab at the back located when I started, turning it clockwise I cannot move it anymore and (although its hard to see) nothing appears to be happening. The bit with the allen key is at 9-o.clock when its as far as I can move it. thanks.

phase 1 flamer 172
Yeah started out with them loose, but ta for that bit of info, obviously need to move tensioner further. Well went back to it, spun everything round and tried tensioner again, was still tight but suddenly it went loose and moved round to probably just passed 12 o clock but the 2 marks now line up (as far as I can see)

Last edited:
  phase 1 flamer 172
Right spun it round 4 complete revolutions (clockwise) pointer has moved slightly but its still in the u shape so I have left it there and nipped up the tensioner nut. I don't have a torque wrench that goes down to 27 nm so I have guessed it and will leave it there unless opinion is it will have drastic consequences, in which case I will buy another torque wrench.