ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam De La Belt

Am havinc the engine out tomorrow to do my clutch and the cam blet is over due, is this something i can do myself whilst it is out? Will i need any special tools because i was under the impression i would need something to lock the camshafts but the trusty Haynes says nothing.

Cheers Bailey.

1.6 16v clio priv
if you get the locking tools to lock the cam and crank shafts then its dead easy while its off. If you dont get the tools its virtually impossible

you can buy them from a machine mart , or maccess or maybe even halfords. all places like that should stock them and know what the tools are.
sorry didnt see it was a valver , all you need to do is mark the position of the pulleys ,(tippex on the pulleys and the engine/camcover) they all have markers on anyway, and if using a renault belt , the belt sould also have markers on so just put these on the pulley marks.

Last edited:
Cool, so am safe to do it without, because i didnt want to send my valves flying into the pistons.

What am i looking for when i tension it?

Caddy Maxi
u dont need it, tbh people who say you do are talking poo!
just lock the crank off with a screwdriver where the locating pin should go. (front right bottom corner as you look at the block.

you can use a spanner to turn the cams when putting the belt on, you have to hold one of the cams in place with the belt on it whilts you set the other one to TDC, make sure the crank is locked right and you'll be fine, the timing mark should be somewhere near the 5 position would be on a clock(little hand) the timing marks should line up anyway on the belt. whilst your there i'd change the tensioners and water pump for ease.