ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cam belt snapped

Ph1 clio 172
as above not having much luck with my car but was wondering will it cost less to just replace the engine or just have the work done? but what are the odds of internal damage? was doind about 50mph at about 3k an got the clutch in as soon as it whent with no load bangs or drama, and also need a new fog light due to my hissie fit,
any help or thoughts will be graitly appreciated
cam

M

mini-valver

Re: cam belt snappet

New engine mate. So much easier and cheaper. Strip yours and sell it in bits.

Definaletly will have valve damage, your best bet is to get a second hand engine, put a new belt, clutch etc in that while its out and drop it in.

ValverInBits
yeah, the pistons may be salvageable, some people do run them with dents in and just stick an new head on, but it's not ideal.

Ph1 clio 172
i only bought the car six months ago and the only reason i picked this 1 over the other was because it had just had the cam belt changed i have reciepts for the work done but the garage where i bought it from are complete tomy tankers and i have had a few probs with them since gettin the car, and thanks for your responce and dose any 1 have a ruff guestimate as to the cost of another engine?

Ph1 clio 172
cheers mate much apreciated thought it would cost a bit more than that so maybe a set of cams will make me feel better

PH2 172
Thats what my mate needs hes gota 1.4 16v clio and wants to convert to a 172 engine that would be ideal for a straigh swap conversion.

Recaro'd 182
if it is within a year of it been done, arent you covered under warranty for the first year by the cam belt manufacturer?

i only bought the car six months ago and the only reason i picked this 1 over the other was because it had just had the cam belt changed i have reciepts for the work done but the garage where i bought it from are complete tomy tankers and i have had a few probs with them since gettin the car, and thanks for your responce and dose any 1 have a ruff guestimate as to the cost of another engine?

Clio 200
if it is within a year of it been done, arent you covered under warranty for the first year by the cam belt manufacturer?

ave been dealing with a few claims in work where people have been claiming for them going after 1-2 years since they shouldnt be needed to be changed after 5 years or the mileage, and their getting their work carried out.

LY 182
how people come to the conclusion a new engine is cheaper is beyond me, new head at the very most but even thats not needed.

think about it, you are getting another engine which requires you to fit a new waterpump really and all the belts, why not just take the head off fit the valves and fit the same belts etc

Recaro'd 182
i thought that the cambelt manufacturers have to pay compensation if it snaps within first year?

ave been dealing with a few claims in work where people have been claiming for them going after 1-2 years since they shouldnt be needed to be changed after 5 years or the mileage, and their getting their work carried out.

Clio 200
i thought that the cambelt manufacturers have to pay compensation if it snaps within first year?

am sure your right mate, because the belt shouldnt fail within 6 months would be worth claiming it, but the claim usually goes back to the garage that fitted the belt

Ph1 clio 172
after a quick portmortam it apeers that the aux belt has snapped an jumped into the cam belt thus cousing much upset for my engine,
have taken the head off for a inspection their is no marks/dents/cracks to any of the pistons and all the valves seam to be ok so ithink i might be ok with this 1, i did try to claim on the warrenty on the cambelt but it appers that it was changed on the 15/02/2006 but has done fcuk all miles in the last 2 years,

Phase 2 172 Cup
there will be valve damage

exactly the same thing that happened to mine, needed 8 inlet valves, and 2 exhasts valves, i just replaced all 16, needed valve guides done etc too

Ph1 clio 172
^^ thats what my old man said that they will look ok when turning the cams but their will still be hidden damage

Ph1 clio 172
there will be valve damage

exactly the same thing that happened to mine, needed 8 inlet valves, and 2 exhasts valves, i just replaced all 16, needed valve guides done etc too

when yours went was their any bangs or loud noises?
as their was non when mine did,

Phase 2 172 Cup
nope engine just stalled and wouldnt turnover again

trust me, it needs valves, and an engine will be so much easier and cheaper to do

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i personally wouldnt fuk about getting a shitty second hand engine which has been hacked out from another car.

so much easier 2 wak the head off, send it away, get it skimmed and 16 new vlaves and vlave stem oil seals fitted. That way u no u hav a pritty mint engine whens its all bak together + ur getting a fresh headgasket 2.

Ph1 clio 172

trust me, it needs valves, and an engine will be so much easier and cheaper to do

will trying to start the engine bend valves because i have not tryed to start it scince it when because fear of causing more damage.

Ph1 clio 172
i personally wouldnt fuk about getting a s**tty second hand engine which has been hacked out from another car.

so much easier 2 wak the head off, send it away, get it skimmed and 16 new vlaves and vlave stem oil seals fitted. That way u no u hav a pritty mint engine whens its all bak together + ur getting a fresh headgasket 2.

this is what i have bean told from a couple of people, as the better option,

BMW 320d SE

will trying to start the engine bend valves because i have not tryed to start it scince it when because fear of causing more damage.

Don't try and start it without a new cam belt in! Like others have said, did you do a compression test?

Phase 2 172 Cup
the engine stops due to a lack of compression, which is what happened to yours mate

the damage had already been done to mine, so checking it with a small turnover was fine, it was move to see if the cams were turning, meaning the belt was still in tact

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
why are people talking about a compression test ? this seems to me as complete nonsense.

no cambelt means no cam rotation. this will not determine internal engine damage. some valves will probably be on the cam lobe so will be open thus no compression.

plus if the belt has gone all that will happen is the damage will worsen.

why should thisaffect the bottom end ? i can understand if a valve has dropped off but he says that they look ok. it will need new valves , seals and possible guides. but how many ? get the valves checked