ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CAM belt Catastrophe

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!

ARGH

After an ignition failure last week i was advised to get my cam belt changed, as i had a service the following week i decided to get it done during the service.

So i went to pick it up last night after service to find my car in bits still, the machanic told me he had lost the timing of my engine. So after a lengthy discussion he agreed to sort it out from his pocket. So i went back tonight and the car was in even more parts.

Turns out while trying to sort out the timing he had bent 4 valves, and had sent the cylinder head away to get skimmed

so i have no car, theres a big hole under my bonnet where the engine was, and his workshop is full of clio bits, i hope they are not going on ebay, the guys even had the cheek to offer me a free service next time i need one.

Do i ask him for the money im losing for not getting to work or should i seek some kind of legal advice?

Volvo S60 T5

Would be shocked if it was a reno garage, a fair few independants used to mess the belts up as the pulleys and crank are free floating, if you aint got the tool its not worth even trying to change the belt.

Think they are being fair with you sorting it all out , and I expect the bloke that made the mistake is sh*ttin it!

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!

..............Update................

i went round to pick up the car on wednesday night, it was in one piece.

i took it for a drive, its smooth up to about 4,500 rpm then it turns into a K reg ford Fiesta, sounds like its been really hammered.

im wondering if the timings still not right, or that the engines trashed, im now considering getting rid of the car, but as im nice and dont wanna fool someone into buying a shed, id buy a new car and Part X it.

to be fair m8 hes been up front with you, so I cant see him trying to do anything dodgy at this stage. I try to give people the benefit of doubt under these circumstances, afterall, a lot of damage has been done, which he has admitted and it will cost HIM a fair bit money that... then hell be losing more when you get yer free service. Id ask him to pay for a hire car though at this point, there only about £15 per day, gives him incentive to finish quicker.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Yeah but if someone is not competent then they could end up doing more damage. Is the person recommended and do you know otehr who have used this mechanic.

Good trades people are worth their weight in gold. I had my clio stuffed up during 2 different ice installs. And nearly conned over a respray, having to go back several times till work was done properly and still not happy but had to cut losses. Its alright people saying think yourself lucky someone is fixing something but if they have ballsed up so badly in first place, can you be confident in what they are doing to resolve the issue.

At the end of the day you are the customer. Us Brits dont like complaining and if your car has been put in a worse state by paying this person to do something then they need to get sorted as was before or pay someone who can.

Me...........Id be going back to them..............mistakes happen and MOST would not own up................he did and you could bet your bottom dollar they would roll out the red carpet for you in future and that there would be no repeat.................and Id take them up on the free service....................as I say these things do happen eh :D

I recon youve just found yourself a garage YOU can rely on ;)

Cya Stu

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!

My family have been using the guy for years, i guess he did make a mistake its just pissed me off being stranded as i live in the sticks, also the engine management light is on and he claims it wasnt him, i noticed some scratches to around the top of the wings.

to be honest i just wanna get my car back to full strength and pretend like it never happened.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Can see people say he is good to own up but you can always bodge it back and then when something goes wrong a few miles down the road, say it was nothing to do with him.

If you have a bad experience with a mechanic, would you go back. Same as if you had bad service from a retailer or bad food at a restaurant.....

Good mechanics are those you pay to do what is needed and dont have problems after the event.

So since working on your car firstly he stuffed it up and now it isnt right over 4500 rpm. And a warning light is now on that wasnt before. Coincidence? How many more chances does the guy need?

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Go back to him and tell him politely but firmly that the problems need to be fixed by him - for free - and quickly.

Street Triple R

No youve gotta get him to sort it, you cant just let someone balls up your car and get away with it

sounds like your timing is all out