ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Calling all Thunderbolt monitor owners/users

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I need a monitor as spreadsheet and invoicing work my the 13"MBP is getting a little tiresome. I am set on paying the completely reasonable fee for the 27" TBD but someone mentioned to me yesterday that a 5k upgrade is most likely due before the end of the year, at worst in the new year and that I should wait.

I don't follow the Apple release prediction/conspiracy circles but hitting Google seems to add some backing to the theory however, does anyone know if this is really likely? I love Retina but it's not essential however, with this in mind, i will be pissed if I spent £800 on a non-retina display only for a 5k unit to be released a few weeks after for similar cost (going on current iMac Vs 5K iMac comparison).

Thanks

Mick

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
It's impossible to say. Their monitors are not on a regular cycle of course, and even Apple are telling you to buy a Sharp to go with their Mac Pro. If I was you, and I didn't want to become pissed at a new one coming out soon after, I'd buy the current TBD second hand off eBay... then sell it as soon as a new one is announced. You're never going to lose much on an expensive Apple product.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Cheers for the reply - The problem I have is that being VAT registered and buying via the EDU Store, buying a used item isn't really saving me much over a new one and then there's the buying a device without AppleCare debate to consider to (for me at least: I like AppleCare).

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I'd hold out personally, get thunderbolt to hdmi adaptor and just get any ips screen monitor for a third of the price ie dell, acer, nec etc and then when the whiz bang retina 5k apple thunderbolt comes out , trade up if you have to.

Why buy a 5k 27" monitor. (when apple finally release it)

At 27" and a normal viewing distance, you won't be able to tell much difference between 1080p and 4k, never mind 5k.

Unfortunately this is limited by the capabilities of out eyes, unless apple will be selling us new ones :wink:

FF Clio 182
Will be a while yet before you see any 5K monitors due to bandwidth issues. With previous iMacs you could also use them as external monitors, with the new 5K iMac out you can no longer do this. The issue lies with the speed of data transfer in the cable, even with the speed available via thunderbolt it just isn't fast enough.

FF Clio 182
Oh and for it to be classed as retina it only needs to be half of what 5k is. Retina Macbooks are 2800x1800