ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Caliper scratching new disc

Clio Sport 172
Hi.

First sorry for my written english, I am doing my best.

I bought new discs to my 172 Clio: dedicated ATE PowerDisc but after I put them on inside part of caliper is to close to the disc and scratch it. I checked my old discs and it seemt to be smaller offset (whole in disc is 35mm deep and new disc has 36mm). Next I checked few more discs in a shop and all of them have 36mm like PowerDiscs. So I assume that something is wrong with hub that disc enters 1mm to deep. Please see attached picture. One more thing, there are no gaskets or any other modifications.

Anybody can help to say what is wrong? Why disc goes to deep on a hub?

Thank you. Marek

Attachments

• left side inside.jpg
    left side inside.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 90
  • left side outside.jpg
    left side outside.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 71

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Marek

the below is from the ATE site catalog, height should be 44mm
EAN
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Status
pixel.gif
Normal
pixel.gif
Quantity per Packing Unit
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Packing Unit
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Trade Numbers
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Criteria:
pixel.gif
to construction year
pixel.gif
12/2012
pixel.gif
Fitting Position
pixel.gif
Front Axle
pixel.gif
Diameter [mm]
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Brake Disc Thickness [mm]
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Minimum Thickness [mm]
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Brake Disc Type
pixel.gif
Vented
pixel.gif
Machining
pixel.gif
Alloyed / High-carbon
pixel.gif
Surface
pixel.gif
Coated
pixel.gif
Number of Holes
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Bolt Hole Circle Ø [mm]
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Height [mm]
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Centering Diameter [mm]
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Inner Diameter [mm]
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Bore Ø [mm]
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Supplementary Article/Supplementary Info 2
pixel.gif
with screws
pixel.gif
MAPP code available
pixel.gif

Clio Sport 172
Hi. They are 44mm. The dimension I gave is the distance beteen rotor surface (scrateched) and surface where hub touch the disc (inside, thats why I said it is whole dimensions not disc).
Reasuming its not disc fault because I tried with ATE Standard, Brembo HC so all of them fits in the same way - to deep. It is trade number 524158.

Clio Sport 172
No, it is standard PH2 172 2001 so there is nothing special there. Spacers are not good idea as I heard. Rotors are dedicated and people use them as I can see in the internet.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The discs look too thick . 44mm , when standard dsics are 24mm new . I'd say that was your problem . How can it be your hub that's at fault ?

Clio Sport 172
44mm i height of rotor in total. 24 is thickness. All dimensions are correct.

I still have a hope that somebody knows the answer.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
44mm i height of rotor in total. 24 is thickness. All dimensions are correct.

I still have a hope that somebody knows the answer.

Ahhh right , sorry . I misunderstood you about the 44 mm . So inside the new discs it's 36mm deep ? So what you're saying is the new discs sit 1mm further onto the hub , therefore catching the inside of the disc on the caliper / pad carrier ? I don't think anybody will have the answer mate if that is the case .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I think to change the hub. If not hub than it has to be caliper. That is all what i think.

I'm assuming the hub and caliper are standard , as it left the factory ? If that's the case , then the only thing that has changed is the disc ? So it can't be the hub ? Maybe , and I've never heard of this happening before , the pad carrier on the caliper is ever so slightly bent ? Just enough for it to touch the new disc ? Just a thought . Maybe someone will come along with a better answer .

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
How do they compare to your original disks? If they are different they are wrong.... Are they the same when you wheel is bolted on?

Clio Sport 172
Scotty, as I said the whole inside the rotor is 1 mm deeper in new discs BUT Brembo HC and few more other manufacturers disc have the same dimensions. I do not know what kind of discs I have now becasue I can see no name or signs on them. Maybe previous owner of my Clio put different kind of discs (for Laguna or Kangoo i dont know) and they fit but Clio Sport 172 dedicated don't.

So if I am sure that discs are good only hub might be wrong.

Dodgy one
Don't see anything wrong, just fit your pads the caliper will centralise itself once the pads are fitted unless the sliders are seized.

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Have you measured the actual set of discs that you have so they match what the information about them says? ie 24mm wide 36mm spaced? Could be sent wrong from the manufacturer

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
The centre hole offset is too deep, thus the disc wont sit central of the carrier. You could try putting a shim on the hub, but I don't recommend it. The other option is to file down the carrier. TBH I would have stuck with the Brembo HC discs as they are very good for the job.

Also, just because lots of other shops show a 36mm deep offset does not make it right, another prime example of this happening is with driveshaft's.

Clio Sport 172
I have new 'steering' and caliper so I will assemble all stuff next Friday so I will let you know what was wrong.

Clio Sport 172
Ok, I have this. Hub was the reason why new discs were scratched by caliper bracket. I dont know if this could be the reason but in January I hit curb on the track so I had to change the wheel.
Please see pictures because I dont know how to describe this. Even in thumbnails you can see that offset of rolling part is different.
DSC_3864.jpg
DSC_3865.jpg