ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Caged, AST, Cat Cammed Ph1 Track Car

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
Bought my berg as a birthday present for myself. My mate Stu (cliostu) had the car before me. The car came with ph2 dash / interior conversion, Stealth exhaust, anthracite wheels, also floor carpets and roof lining were changed to black. Since buying the car i havn't really done much to it tbh. Main focus just now is to get it looking a bit better for FCS. This will include some lows and getting the front bumper re-sprayed for going.
Here are some pics of the car as it stand just now.
Progress will be pretty slow on this as i still have to pay off my insurance :(
Give me a couple of months and i'm sure things will start to happen.

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg
IMG_0829.jpg
IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

A couple of photos from livi cruise. (pictures are mainly for stu here)
IMG_0773.jpg
IMG_0770.jpg
IMG_0769.jpg
IMG_0776.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Re: 172 berg,

Get it decked and that Ph1 is textbook! Ace. What colour are the wheels mate? It's like a bronzey/anthracite? Don't suppose you have a colour code?!

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.

I miss that car :( looking good though!!

Danith - its anth, I'll update this when im in tomorrow for you if foz doesnt know.

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios

Get it decked and that Ph1 is textbook! Ace. What colour are the wheels mate? It's like a bronzey/anthracite? Don't suppose you have a colour code?!

yeah the coilovers will be coming soon. im gonna go with a rattle can from halfrauds haha, ask Clio_stu. he will tell you what mucho cheapness he used lol

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy

I've seen another ph1 - some guy from portugal with same colour wheels. cant remember his name though! His ph1 is bob on. If I hadn't had 2 phase 1's already I wouldn't have bought my ph2! For me the ph1's edge it lookswise, the front end is well meatier and they suit F1s so well.

Yeah stu if you could get me the code that would be much appreesh!!

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios

2 x Handbrake cables
1 x Throttle Cable

fair to say i feel suitably molested

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
172 Berg, caliper painting fail

So the calipers when i got the car were pretty tatty. all the pain had flaked off during track use so i decided i'd give them a paint.
I decided i wanted them purple due to not seeing it before. For some reason i didnt think about using ebay and finding purple brake caliper paint. so i bought white hammerite and mixed in about 7 bottle of blue and 7 bottle of red food colouring. I got to s hitey colour but thought i'd use it anyway after wasting all the money.
31312.jpg
313122.jpg

after painting the callipers i switched the front and back wheels round. since the back had just been balanced i obviously didnt think about this haha
313124.jpg

Removed the wight and all glued it onto the wheel

When the shitey hammerite dried pretty much all of the food colouring came out of the paint and was "beading" on top of the paint. After washing the food colouring away they looked worse than before.
SO then i ebayed purple paint. i got the colour i wanted so whacked it on the calipers and decided to paint the rear shocks as well. IMO it looks pretty good. So i'm happy with the results. No before pictures unfortunately

This pic was taken after the food colouring came out of the paint haha
IMG_0897.jpg

Final paint :D

94123.jpg

94124.jpg

9412.jpg

94122.jpg

comments appreciated :D

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios

dunno why i didnt think about trying ebay for caliper paint haha. looks fine now so all is good haha.

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
172 Berg, FCS Preperation

FCs is fast approaching so I've started to get my finger out and get things done.
First up was the tatty front bumper. Full of stone chips which didn't look to great.
294126.jpg

294125.jpg

294124.jpg
294123.jpg

Out with the old!

29412.jpg

and in with the new!

2941210.jpg

294129.jpg

294128.jpg

294127.jpg

Thanks to Clio_stu for helping fit the bumper.

The car was on standard suspension and the wheels were starting to look a bit worse for wear.
IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

Probably one of the better wheels but it makes for a good before picture lol.

Some under the bonnet goodies :D
IMG_1801.jpg
IMG_1800.jpg

Again thanks to clio_stu for helping out with the colies and the top mounts.
Cheers to frazjam for a shot of his track wheels whilst mines are away being refurbed.

After the coilovers were fitted!
IMG_1793.jpg

Thecar was then booked into CLCM to have tracking set up. What a difference after it was done. 2.4 degrees of caster and 2 egrees of camber.
Need to fit new track rod ends as one is buggered. CLCM said they will re-adjust the tracking for free after i fit the new track rod ends. As long as i do the work within the next 2 months! Top lads!

The headlights were next on the cards. The drivers one looked yellow in comparison to the passengers.
Wet snaded the headlights. Started with 600 grtin, then 800 grit, then 1500 grit, then 2500 grit. The headlights were then machine polished with cutting compound then given a final buff up with SRP.

Not really got any before or during pictures. Just afters lol

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

The car got absolutely covered in polish during this so a good clean up at the end of the day!
Before!!!
IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg
IMG_1796.jpg

After wash and polish!

IMG_1802.jpg
IMG_1804.jpg
IMG_1805.jpg
IMG_1806.jpg
IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg
IMG_1798.jpg
IMG_1799.jpg

Wasn't to happy with the reverse rake from fitting the coilovers so had the car off the ground today and wound the front down another 20mm or so :D

IMG_1809.jpg

Looking a bit better now
Thats all for now. Hopefully getting my wheels back mid week :)

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios

Got my wheels back last night.
Just a quick picture as i couldnt be bothered going outside to take photos of them
IPF in glenrothes done the job. £160 for he furb. Top quality work, all kerb marks from previous owners removed ;)
he also removes bends and will weld crack in wheels
IMG_1814.jpg

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios

After FCS and the royal highland show the car was absolutely disgusting. Got her sorted out today lol.
Pics will do explaining from here.

IMG_2026.jpg
IMG_2023.jpg
IMG_2022.jpg
IMG_2020.jpg
IMG_2017.jpg
IMG_2016.jpg
IMG_2015.jpg
IMG_2013.jpg
IMG_2012.jpg
IMG_2011.jpg
IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

a rather crap update, but none the less it was a good way to kill a couple of hours haha

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios

Quite a large update this time

from the last posts the car has been stripped.
Front carpets have been left in, along with the doorcards and headlining
Ive made plates out of steel sheeting and covered up the "holes" that the rear doorcards sit in
I've also painted the inside ford violet purple. I then fitted a rear half cage with the help of djwjohn and djwdave

few pics:

IMG_2865_zps507a1932.jpg
IMG_2864_zpsa939e246.jpg

I also bought a set of bi marco seats and str harnesses, These wire fitted at the same time as my sabelt wheel!

IMG_2862_zps1265d39f.jpg
IMG_2863_zpsd9c392d6.jpg

Next on the list was to install my cup alternator set up! not a good idea on a friday night in the pitch black but hey ho we got there in the end haha!
Cheers to stu for the last minute help!
Sticking under the bonnet I've got solid engine mounts installed which has made a big difference. Totally changed the exhaust not strangely enough! lol
finally i got a new airbox and a pipercross filter, along with a silicone bend
(V6 box next i think!)

IMG_2868_zpsd5f574af.jpg

IMG_2867_zpsae28dd33.jpg

IMG_2869_zpsb43f3684.jpg

On the outside of the car i got a cup spoiler from frazjam and stu off of one of the cars they were splitting.
Makes such a difference to the look of the car! I also have new headlights on the way however FK are possibly the worst company in the world to deal with!

IMG_2871_zps2fff9bf3.jpg
IMG_2872_zps961de238.jpg

yes it does need a wash quite badly!

Now onto the main change, or the most expensive at least!
The belts were long over due so i booked in with swr in stirling who done an absolutely brilliant job. Couldnt fault it!
Replaced all belts and the water pump, as well as the dephaser pulley!
Cam shaft seals, and the easy access crankshaft seal were also replaced.
Cat-cam 438's were also installed and the inlets were machined out so they are now matched!

After having the car remapped me and the other fifers went to a rolling road day at extreme!
Pretty happy with the figure that i achieved :D
As for the car it feel awesome to drive. The cams have made a big difference. loads of fun!!

IMG_2873_zpsa65c2204.jpg
IMG_2874_zps3e0800f3.jpg

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

Wow those cams make awesome power, so much want! Who mapped it?

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

Does he have rollers too? Just wondering cause swr do work on my car too and cams are on my want list.

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios

He doesn't have the rollers but the person who does the map has rollers so will provide a rr figure

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

How does it feel to drive now with the cams?

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios

gearbox done
sump gasket done
crankshaft seal done
track rod ends done
ball joints done
asts fitted
tracking done
Full service done

Frazer Jamieson = hero
spent the eveening of his 21st helping out / loaning his garage
then 18 hours straight the next day to finish all this

Clio_stu came along for five or ten minutes as well :p

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios

Taking pictures would gave added an extra 10 minutes onto the job. f**k that

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios

As adam is a moaning faced hoor i have acquired one or two photos from doing all the work stated above

Asts, enigne oil, gearbox oil, clutch cable, sump gasket, new rear caliper, track rod ends and ball joints
null_zpsd9d5a609.jpg

subframe degreased and all oil removed.
could do with some more paint but time was wasting away lol
null_zpsb3f9fb00.jpg

big end
null_zps9a6803fa.jpg

Sump all cleaned out, new gasket and sealant on
null_zps1f422f0e.jpg

Clutch alignment tool which has worked surprisingly well!!
null_zpse874888d.jpg

AST's!!!
null_zps4f29e362.jpg

went on a road trip at the weekend which resulted in the read pads being worn to the metal, a windscreen being broken (again), and a hid ballast being burst.
New ballast has been fitted, rear pads changed, and windscreen getting replaced today,

New brembo discs have been ordered and a set of carbon lorrainne RC6 pads

Rear pads wearing down to the metal resulted in metal shavings collecting in the wheel. these have now went rather rusty lol
null_zpsa1e6e8fe.jpg

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios

gaz, you can't reach these dizzy heights mate.
​youve been taking an engine out for 2 months lolol

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
Another update for CSS and our trip to the ring'

new rear discs and pads as the old ones were ruined. the sliders appeared to have been seized however they move by hand no problem now. I assume they were stuck and just couldn't get past the piece of dirt!
regardless they are now re-greased and operating braw!
A new set of AD08's for going to the ring as well!

null_zpsc0fee1d3.jpg

A v6 airbox was purchased and installed! running a pipercross filter same as before!
also bought a brand new coolant bottle! totally pointless haha

Went up to crail (1/4 mile strip just past st. Andrews!)
managed to achieve second in my class - NA FWD
14.375 was my quickest time. beater by an old xr3 in the final. still chuffed

Blew an o-ring on the back of my radiator so i managed to get a hold of a cheap new rad to put in (cheers stu)
null_zps3a7aa451.jpg

null_zpse8c3da23.jpg

null_zps2c4a34bb.jpg

New front discs and pads!
running brembo HC discs and Carbon lorrainne rc6's
what a set up. the squeal off of the pads can be a bit embarrassing should you be down the high street BECAUSE RACECAR

Calipers were painted silver as the purple was a god damn awful idea. I have also painted the inside of the car back to silver. To much spare time

null_zpsdb118de7.jpg

Old ds2500s vs new rc6's
ds2500's were originally dannyR's who sold them to fraser.J who then sold them to me at the end of a track day!
still got quite a bit of meat left for the mileage that they have seen

null_zps32b8c4c4.jpg

null_zpsce5de297.jpg

Whilst doing the gearbox change i only had 75 / 90 gearbox oil. Changed that out as didnt want to take any chances!
at the same time i made a mess of clio_stus drive and changed out my engine oil!
new oem filter - standrad

bought a bulk buy of oil from opie!

null_zpsa645ab10.jpg

I also thought it would be hilarious to run about without a dah for a while which ended up being pretty irritating!
purchased a flocked dash and ordered some flocked a pillars and sun visors from geordie_james on here!
great work and would highly recommend him. Very helpful!

null_zpse69952e6.jpg

null_zps1f424b7e.jpg

null_zpsf13d6c1f.jpg

null_zps78e5d792.jpg

null_zpsd0267183.jpg

Also purchased a new daily motor to potter around in

null_zps5c03d8de.jpg

​cheers for reading

Last edited: