ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cable Router Question -

Evening, (or morning?!)

Back into uni accommodation in September and they've changed internet providers to be less picky and basically do what we want including routers however...

The connection only allows one registered device (registered through the mac address)
I can pay for extra devices (up to 4) to be connected for £15 for the year, i can connect these through a switch and / or a router using it as a wireless switch by turning DHCP off, however the router counts as a device so thats only three things i can have in and registered.

My idea was to connect a cable router up and have it use mac address of the router as the one registered device thus giving me as many as i want connections as the router will create its own little network for me. My problem here is that the rooms don't have an assigned ip from the server that could change often, changing the ip on the router (i believe i can do this with a cable router, i know i can with ADSL ones as i've plenty of them and played around). I've had a browse at DD-WRT stuff but i can't find anything to help me.

Basically is there a solution for me to use a cable router as i am wanting, its like having the ip of the router dynamic to be able to change as and when the server allocates it one as if it were a pc connected.

What do you think?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I think you're making this way more complex than needs be!

Get an access point that's compatible with DD-WRT (the WRT54G was the go-to router, but you might need the right hardware version). Register the WAN port as your mac address (with the uni) and tell it to pick up the WAN IP via DHCP.

Don't buy a cable modem or adsl router because unless you get one which you can flash DD-WRT or Tomato or whatever third party firmware you like onto it, you're going to have problems as they'll be wanting to use their own WAN hardware for routing.