ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a clio - hints?

hello to you all! i feel a little cheeky signing up here but i needed some questions answering and i just thought this would be the best place to get some straight and honest answers!

My friends currently got an old shape clio and is looking to buy another one so that she can get it with electric windows and other luxuries!

she wants the middle shape in a 1.2 or 1.4 (ie not the old square one and not the newest one thats out) but we had a few questions we wanted to ask (a few he says!) We would much appreciate your help!

1) I believe that there are 2 different styles of that particular clio, theres one with frosted headlights and then theres the newer style facelifted one with the clear and larger headlights - when did the editions change and what other differences do they have apart from the headlights?

2) We've all heard about the faulty bonnet catches on some of the clios, which models did this affect and is there any way to check which ones are likely to do it ie VIN numbers or cars built between a specific time? Also if the owner claims that its been fixed, how can we tell if they're telling the truth?

3) Has there been any recalls ie things that renault should've done under warrenty (the reason i ask is because i drive a C2 and they've had plenty!!)

4) When going to look at a clio to buy, what things should we be keeping an eye out for? Are there any common faults or parts that tend to wear out easily?

5) What are the service intervals?

6) The last one (thankfully!) whats it like to drive that particular shape of clio, is it a nice drive or will it have rock solid springs or hard steering etc?

Thank you so much :)

Mini Cooper S sport
Loads of questions!

The shape you want is the Mk 2 phase 1 (1998-2001) or phase 2 (2001-2005). I'm no expert on all the little differences but I guess it's which one you prefer the look of. I think the Phase 1 looks very dated now, although the V6s and 172s still look nice. The headlights are the most obvious difference but there were a few other styling changes and I much prefer the ph2.

As for the bonnet catches, you can get it checked at any Renault garage and I think the check is free. I can't think of any other recent recalls.

Can't help you on the bits which go wrong! They have quite a few common faults. I only know the service intervals for 172s/182s.

They are all quite nice to drive, the harder suspension is only on the sport versions. The only answer to that really is to test drive one for yourself and see what you think :)