ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a Clio, HELP!

Renault Clio Freeway
Hi,

I am looking at buying my first car and my uncle has offered to sell me his Renault Clio Freeway for a brilliant price.
It's a 2007 reg, 1.2, 3 door. I don't really know anything about them and I wondered if anybody could tell me the pro's and con's :) ?
PLUS is it usually quite reasonable for insurance as a first time driver? As i've been browsing and the cheapest I can find is £1500 :( !

thaaaaankkksssss

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Hi and welcome to the club :)
£1500 sounds pretty good if, assuming you're 17 with 0 no claims bonus!

E36 M3. 182
£1500 doesnt sound bad for a new driver. However, its always worth actually ringing insurers up as well as doing internet comparisons to get the best price.

Renault Clio Freeway
Hi and welcome to the club :)
£1500 sounds pretty good if, assuming you're 17 with 0 no claims bonus!

Hiii, okay, thankyou! I just wanted to check I wasn't being ripped off and if you think not then thats cool :)
I'm actually 18 but I am in the same no claims situation as a 17 year old so yeah.

Thanks again !

Renault Clio Freeway
Thanks :) just wanted to check it was a good price for an 18 year old really.

What would you say is a good price for a 2007, clio freeway, 1.2 with only 20,000 miles on the clock?

And yes, I will definitely ring up - my boyfriend phoned up and they knocked off £400 for him!

thankyou :)

Titanium ph1 turbo
Best to look around in say Autotrader, get an idea of the average price of this car with 20k on the clock, then check your intended purchase is in line with the others for its condition. Also get an HPI check, it's £22 online and tells you if the car has ever been in trouble before.. do this before you hand over the cash :) ... £1500 sounds about right for your age. When you are 33 like me you can pay £270 a year for a 2.0 litre ;)

Renault Clio Freeway
Best to look around in say Autotrader, get an idea of the average price of this car with 20k on the clock, then check your intended purchase is in line with the others for its condition. Also get an HPI check, it's £22 online and tells you if the car has ever been in trouble before.. do this before you hand over the cash :) ... £1500 sounds about right for your age. When you are 33 like me you can pay £270 a year for a 2.0 litre ;)

Yes you're making me extremely jealous!!!! My mum only pays £200 for a 2litre convertible, i'm perfectly fit to drive and my eyesite is good! its not fair :(
I don't need to do a HPI check really because my uncle has had it from new and I would know if it's been in trouble etc. and he is also very honest :)

Thankyou for your advice! I will take it on board

If your the main driver of the car, by law you must be the main driver on the insurance, otherwise it's illegal... however i may be incorrect... but i think you can put named drivers on, even if they only use the car once in a blue moon, which isnt illegal.. what im getting at is it worth putting people like your parents, grandparents, other family member or even experienced drivers on your policy as named driver (who have a pretty clean licsence and a no insurance claim) as this will help bring your policy down in price... most insurance companies normally allow you to put 3-4 named drivers on a policy...

For instance my parents do sometime use my car... its unofften, but they use it to pick me up from the station, or if my brother uses their car... therefore i put them on my policy... by putting both of them on it brought my cost down in the past by a further 500-600 quid... additionally one of my older mates reguarly uses my car, we share drives if were going long distance or the same place... so looked at putting him on my policy and it brought the cost down again. (he's currently not on my policy as he is insured to drive other peoples cars under his own)... but its worth looking at!

I don't need to do a HPI check really because my uncle has had it from new and I would know if it's been in trouble etc. and he is also very honest :)

I know he's your uncle ect... but just make sure he owes no finance on it... HPI's arnt just for crashes ect...

Renault Clio Freeway
I know he's your uncle ect... but just make sure he owes no finance on it... HPI's arnt just for crashes ect...
Ah okay, I didn't know much about it really, so cheers, i'll check up on it :)

as for the named drivers, I have followed your advice and put my mum, grandma and grandad on it and yeah it did bring the price down considerably :) thanks

Ah okay, I didn't know much about it really, so cheers, i'll check up on it :)

as for the named drivers, I have followed your advice and put my mum, grandma and grandad on it and yeah it did bring the price down considerably :) thanks

So how much did you get it down by now!

05 clio dynamique
I paid £1800 first year on an 05 plate 1.2 dynamique 16V. I was insured on provisional for £1100 for about 10 months though.
Due to picking quinn direct to insure me on provisional, they allowed me to have a no claims bonus even before i'd passed my test.

With 2 years of no claims i'm now with aviva, aged 19, and I pay £695 a year :) So any quote below £1500 is good for first year.

Seeing as it's from family you always have something to fall back on if the car goes wrong, I doubt your parents would be happy if your uncle sold you a dodgy first car!

20k on the clock it should be mechanically sound anyway, how much is he wanting you to pay? From anyone else, I think you'd be looking at between £4000-5000, maybe 6000 from a dealer.

:)

Renault Clio Freeway
I paid £1800 first year on an 05 plate 1.2 dynamique 16V. I was insured on provisional for £1100 for about 10 months though.
Due to picking quinn direct to insure me on provisional, they allowed me to have a no claims bonus even before i'd passed my test.

With 2 years of no claims i'm now with aviva, aged 19, and I pay £695 a year :) So any quote below £1500 is good for first year.

Seeing as it's from family you always have something to fall back on if the car goes wrong, I doubt your parents would be happy if your uncle sold you a dodgy first car!

20k on the clock it should be mechanically sound anyway, how much is he wanting you to pay? From anyone else, I think you'd be looking at between £4000-5000, maybe 6000 from a dealer.

:)

really?! He wants just £2000 for it :) which I already know is a great deal!!!! I'm snapping his hand off at it.
I havn't yet passed my test but if I do first time then I will be passed by September (fingers crossed)

haha no, they would not!!!! but it's in great nick so I think I am safe :)

thanks for your info :D

Renault Clio Freeway
Lmao because I'm male, 18 and have 0 NCB :rasp: I would also like to add that's 3200 with a tracker, without on this car was around 5-6k.

Edit: Also I've got a bad postcode lol

Oh well. I'm sorry I ever moaned about insurance now!!!!!! I feel blessed! Let's just hope you keep up your No claims for a nice big bonus :)

Clio 1.2 16V
That's pretty good, I paid 2300 for my first year and that was only a 10 month policy! Was 19 at the time and only had my licence about 3 months. It was down to 1300 this year with 1 years no claims!

BTW I'm with admiral, me the main driver and 3 additional drivers worth a try for anyone, they were by far the cheapest for me and I don't live in the best area lol.

Renault Clio MK4 RS
id say 1500 is a great first year insurance price! im 18 and 19 on weekend and my insurance is £4500! just due to me being stupid when 17 on a bike and getting 6points on my license. i now drive a 2001 renault clio 1.2 8V and my insurance is through the roof and thats me being a named driver on my mums insurance! and id say £2000 is an amazing price for a 2007 clio! i payed £1200 for my car 3 weeks ago so your in for a very nice first car. drive safe!

Renault Clio Freeway
id say 1500 is a great first year insurance price! im 18 and 19 on weekend and my insurance is £4500! just due to me being stupid when 17 on a bike and getting 6points on my license. i now drive a 2001 renault clio 1.2 8V and my insurance is through the roof and thats me being a named driver on my mums insurance! and id say £2000 is an amazing price for a 2007 clio! i payed £1200 for my car 3 weeks ago so your in for a very nice first car. drive safe!

Thankyou! Just found out its actually a 2008 car not a 2007, even better :) It's in great condition. You have to pay so much money, I don't know how you do it, if mine cost that much I would not be driving ever! Luckily I also live in a good area, it's just a village, so that brings the price down also. Thankyou for your advice :)

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Uncle with benefits? Myst be a reason he is chucking grands away on a car?

joking

Welcome to the club

RB 182 195bhp
£1500 is great for a first car, I payed £3000 for a diesel 306 first year at 17 0 NCB, then £3000 for a 306 gti-6 second year at 18 with 1 year NCB, and now pay £1300 for my 172 cup this year at 19 with 2 years NCB, and I thought that was cheap! haha

Renault Clio Freeway
Wow okay! I've gathered from this thread that I'm moaning for no reason and i'm being given very cheap quotes! I think it was just because I was comparing it to older relatives prices!

Thanks :) who do you usually find as the cheapest for car insurance???

Hi emily! I'm a 19 year old and I'm insured on a 1.2 for £400 a year! If you don't drive like a tit you can get a box fitted into your car that measures how you drive, like speed, cornering, braking and night time driving! The better you are, the more your insurance drops! There is NO limit on how many miles you can drive! You also build up a NCB! I'm with the co op young drivers! Thank me later ;)

http://www.co-operativeinsurance.co.uk/servlet/Satellite/1228203835143,CFSweb/Page/Insurance-Car

Renault Clio Freeway
Hi, I just wondered what info do I need to know to buy alloys? I literally don't have a clue about anything to do with car's, it's probably quite offensive to you guys how sparse my knowledge actually is !

But what size or whatever it is do the alloys need to be for a 2008 Clio Freeway? What measurements and things do I need to know before buying them?

Any help would be really appreciated :) thankyou!!