ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bumper and bonnet re-spray

This one ^ (someday)
The amount of stone chips on my car has been annoying me for a long time, now someone scraped the right side of the bumper whilst it was parked leaving an unsightly black mark there so i've decided its time for a re-spray.

What sort of price would I be looking at for a bumper and bonnet respray?
Can anyone recommend anywhere decent on the south east coast?

Even if anyone can give a faint number i'd be grateful, are we talking £150 or £500+.

My car is an Arctic Blue 182.

Cheers

This one ^ (someday)
s**t I was expecting something like this, is there a way to do touch ups? to avoid a whole respray i mean

Atleast £500+ full spray of wings, bonnet and bumper, thats what id quote and it will depend on colour and what the condition is like. You'll get what you pay for generally, there is absolutely no such thing as a "cheap" job in spray painting, just a "poor" job for less £.

This one ^ (someday)
So does everyone who has the stone chips removed on the bumper/bonnet is paying upwards of £500? Surely there is a cheaper alternative to a full spray job

Punto/Clio GTT
i wholeheartedly disagree with the whole " you get what you pay for " when it comes to spray painting.

ive been at numerous places, small garages and the work has been absolutely top notch, wheras ive worked at HUGE companies and the work has been a dogs dinner.

i would seriously advise just asking to see their work, to see the quality of work they are putting out.

some garages are smaller and struggle for work, so they charge less, its as simple as that, doesnt mean the work is "poor".

as for the quote, around £300 at most places, minimal work tbh.

Punto/Clio GTT
you can wet flat are the chips individually, get some touch up paint mixed with laquer and fill them in, then give them another flat once dry and polish them up, but you'll still see the chips slightly

If you want the full bumper, bonnet, wings and then blended in, that will cost a fair amount. As said, i'd imagine £500+.

So your saying £300 - £60 VAT = £240 - minus paint / material costs of ~20-30% - labour to remove / refit the lot, time costs to fill spray , booth time, oven time, general business overheads (lighting, heating etc, rates, rent) - 20% tax on profits, the numbers dont stack up if your running a legitimate spray shop.

i wholeheartedly disagree with the whole " you get what you pay for " when it comes to spray painting.

ive been at numerous places, small garages and the work has been absolutely top notch, wheras ive worked at HUGE companies and the work has been a dogs dinner.

i would seriously advise just asking to see their work, to see the quality of work they are putting out.

some garages are smaller and struggle for work, so they charge less, its as simple as that, doesnt mean the work is "poor".

Punto/Clio GTT
thats what im saying

a big place that dont struggle for work and can have huge labour costs would charge alot more than a small company who dont have huge overheads and may struggle to get the work.

someone who works for theirself or only has 1 or 2 workers could knock that out for around £300, all day long. it aint a big job is it? and whats to strip? front badge? side repeaters? bumper can be masked fairly easy, unsure if its got the washer jets, but thats easy enough to work around, bumper can stay on.

id do jobs like that all day long tbh! no filler or very little.

varies company to company though. im sure your company would be adamant that bumpers gotta come off, everythings gotta come off, grille etc etc, which is fine, but it soon whacks up the costs whereas you can get away with leaving it on if youre a competent masker to keep the costs and labour down

02teasda

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172 Cup
Had a quote for this exact job the other day. Full bumper, bonnet and wings in mondial blue £260! The company is a very reputable company and I've seen some awesome work from them! Depends where you go, best to get a few quotes and try and get some references. Stone chips are so annoying!

Titanium 182
Tim is it really that bad? I mean, is this a car you're going to keep wrapped for the rest of your life, or do you just drive it, and like it to look fairly clean in the process? If the latter then, like myself, I'd leave it.

I've always looked at the stone chips on my car and thought 'I'd like to get those sorted,' but then I realise it's a car I use on a daily basis, which I like to drive and not worry about every little chip - it'll be a matter of weeks til you're wanting it sprayed again imo. Save your money aside for your next car ;)

it aint a big job is it? and whats to strip? front badge? side repeaters? bumper can be masked fairly easy, unsure if its got the washer jets, but thats easy enough to work around, bumper can stay on.

id do jobs like that all day long tbh! no filler or very little.

I'm going to be honest, the finish on that would be awful.

Black Gold Trophy
I had bumper bonnet and both front wings done, just to get rid of excessive stone chips, cost about £700, and I wasnt entirely happy with the work either!
The irritating thing is I can paint very well, but I don't have access to a spray booth.

I disagree that you'll need to blend into the wings. The wings always look off colour on these cars as they are plastic and the doors are metal.

Punto/Clio GTT
Tim is it really that bad? I mean, is this a car you're going to keep wrapped for the rest of your life, or do you just drive it, and like it to look fairly clean in the process? If the latter then, like myself, I'd leave it.

I've always looked at the stone chips on my car and thought 'I'd like to get those sorted,' but then I realise it's a car I use on a daily basis, which I like to drive and not worry about every little chip - it'll be a matter of weeks til you're wanting it sprayed again imo. Save your money aside for your next car ;)

I'm going to be honest, the finish on that would be awful.

why?

Evo 5 RS

You definitely get what you pay for most of the time. It reflects massively on the materials used quantity