ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Building a backbox

Clio 172 2002
Instead of buying a quality exhaust for my 1*2 I decided to let a shop design and build a custom one.
I've heard that the exhausts on the 1*2 should retain back pressure and because of that all exhausts are chambered designs ? is this correct ?
Is it possible to open up the OEM exhaust and copy it's internals ? or should I be aware of anything when asking the shop to build one ?
Are there any design guidelines or something when designing a custom exhaust with chambers ?

Clio 172 2002
I don't want noise, I want it quite and deep kinda like OEM, but retain performance.
for example i've read that making the tip in a downward angle, lowers high frequency drone noises and amplifies low frequencies because the sound bounce from the floor.

Last edited:
  Clio 172 2002
K-Tec would involve shipping it internationally + Taxes, making it cost roughly twice as much if not more at the end.
Building a custom one should be much cheaper and probably it's my only option.
To give you an estimate, Scorpion exhaust with the single tip for the 172 costs around 520 pounds around here :(

Clio
Where abouts are you based? From what I've seen lately you can just stick it on a boat that barely floats and turn up at any European country you like. Don't need papers or anything. Probably give your exhaust its own flat and benefits and if you are lucky.

Clio 197
I don't want noise, I want it quite and deep kinda like OEM, but retain performance.
for example i've read that making the tip in a downward angle, lowers high frequency drone noises and amplifies low frequencies because the sound bounce from the floor.
Yes it does, i had a Ktec one that was v. loud and it suffered from that.

Can you not get an OEM one? Where are you from?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Surely whoever is fabricating the exhaust should know the answer to all of those questions. After all, you're paying for their expertise to design the exhaust to your requirements without you having to go into detail about types of silencer/resonator and back pressures.

Clio 172 2002
Yeah i guess they know, But just wanted to ask if anybody knows the procedure they follow, how do they decide the internal cabin design of the box ?
I imagine they could just tell me yeah sure it's chambered, and just fabricate the cheapest thing ever and i bet i wouldn't even notice the difference ..

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
There are only really two designs of silencer used in cars as far as I'm aware. Absorptive and reflective. The size and type used really just depends on what's required (I have no experience of this btw. I just deal with similar stuff at work)