ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BT engineer call out charges

Have had a couple of faults with my phone and broadband recently, main one being the home hub ringing itself occasionally, and nobody being able to get through on my home phone number.

It got rediculous late last night and I rang BT to ask what was causing it and spoke to a really helpful chap who ran through a few checks with me, various scenarios of hub being plugged in, just phone etc and he was adament that there was a major error that he couldn't advise over the phone.

He was able to get me an engineer out today, 16 hours after the call which was great.

The engineer found it to be my normal BT phone which is plugged into the ADSL filter is faulty, and causing the home hub to play up - Great!

The lad at BT that I spoke with last night rang me on my mobile at the time of the original tests and rang my home phone at each scenario and said its the same whichever is done, got to be a serious fault.

The engineer tells us nearing the end of the visit that there will be a charge for the call out as it was the socket that was faulty. I rang BT to ask about this charge and how much it would be. I was just advised that it would be £127.99!!!

When the lad ws going through the checks last night and told me I needed an engineer, he never mentioned it would cost £127.99!

I moaned at BT, stating that I was at no point told it would be chargable, or at which amount. It potentionally could have been £1000, they can create it what they like.

Without being advised of this I think it is really off, and in my rage at BT I have told them that I should invoice them £256.46 for the cup of brown that the engineer drank at his visit - as he never asked!

They have been fairly reasonable, they have stated that I need to wait for the amount to come out on my bill, and then ring back when its chargable. I was advised that if a recording proves I was not told of the charges then it will be taken off. Fair play I suppose.

But my worry is, they will say some crap like the costs are listed online (my cup of tea charge is under the kettle) and try to force me to pay it.

Has anyone been in a simular situation, work for BT, or know the legal side of charging for a service that wasn't communicated originally?

Thanks for listening - You now owe me £34.97 :clown:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If you definitely weren't told it would be charged, they can't and won't charge you, if you weren't listening and agree'd to it they will. It's that simple

172 Cup
£127.99 is the standard callout charge for Openreach. If the fault is at the NTE5 or on the line prior to this the fee is waived. If the fault is found after the NTE5 then the fee applies.

BT, like most companies, record the calls so if you're so adamant you weren't warned about the charge why not ask for a copy of your call??!? (I noticed you said they'd check the recording but I'd ask for a copy all the same)

They will play it back to me when i ring up after receiving the bill. Im just worried they will use something else to get out of it like saying I should have asked or to check the terms online before agreeing the engineer to be sent.

In reality the fault was with my old home phone so the fee would apply, but after doing all the checks yesterday on the phone and being advised an engineer visit without being informed of fees is a bit off on their part.

I will ask for a copy of the call before hand to check i am right and didnt ignore anything, so thanks for that point.