ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broken seat

1.4 clio & ctr ep3
Hello people, my passenger seat will not fold forward anymore when i pull the handle. I have checked the handle out and the mechanism in the seat and the cable still appears to be attached and everything, but when you pull the handle up it doesnt pull the cable up enough to pull the bar up to the position that it will release and allow the seat to fold. Any ideas or help would be great!!!

cheers!!

BBC

CLIO 182 & Astra TwinTop
Had both cables replaced on the son's Clio (2002 model). Very expensive but in my view it is a very serious safety issue! I wouldn't want to be stuck in the back in a crash and not be able to easily get out.
I was wondering if this was going to become the next bonnet catch type of safety recall problem.

Renault Clio Dynamique
My driver one is the same. I went to Renault and they wouldn't look into it until they have a slot free which is sometime in may so i never bothered mines been broken since around November time.

I would also like to know how this can be fixed.

BBC

CLIO 182 & Astra TwinTop
The cables snap and need to be replaced but our Clio has seat side airbags so I left it to the experts (?) as the seats are taken out of the car.

BBC

CLIO 182 & Astra TwinTop
For both seats the labour was £225 and the 2 cables £29.70 plus VAT. Paid it with some surprise at the amount but it is important to be able to get out of the car! My wife was in a crash years ago in a Hillman Imp and she got out from the back but her friend next to her didn't and died in the fire!

BBC

CLIO 182 & Astra TwinTop
2 new seats with airbags and to match the existing upholstery, that's a tall order!

clio cup172
about half way to 3/4 of the way down the back of the seat there is a metal bar that runs accorr the back, mine broke aswell on my cup so i just pushthis bar and the seat folds forward.

LOL at you guys spending fortunes!!

New cable from Renault cost me £15 a piece, i got two, and did both of mine, they are a pile of piss!!

Unhook the bottom of the seat backing so you can get your hand up there and can see, unhook all the lil clips, Then undo screw at top and unclip handle and remove back plate, unhook cable and tape new cable to old one, pull it through, then reclip the new clips! Sorted!!

EDIT: Just realised i bumped an old thread! It was linked to from here:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=424977

Renault Clio Dynamique
LOL at you guys spending fortunes!!

New cable from Renault cost me £15 a piece, i got two, and did both of mine, they are a pile of piss!!

Unhook the bottom of the seat backing so you can get your hand up there and can see, unhook all the lil clips, Then undo screw at top and unclip handle and remove back plate, unhook cable and tape new cable to old one, pull it through, then reclip the new clips! Sorted!!

EDIT: Just realised i bumped an old thread! It was linked to from here:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=424977

Does yours have air bags? oh and whats the part number?

Does yours have air bags? oh and whats the part number?

Yes mine has air bags!

No idea of part number? I worked at Renault, i asked them to get the picture up in dialogys and pointed at it Andy Pipkin style and said "I want that one!!"

182FF
was that the top cable, from handle to first bar? That looks fine on mine, it's the cable that runs from that bar under the seat on mine.

white leon cupra R
reno wanted to charge me £175 for a cable wtf ............... seat is stayin as it is
untill i find a bmx in river and ill nick the cable of it and make it fit

sometimes my drivers seat dont work but theres a kind of mushroom shape bolt that kind of sticks out under the seat on the door side of the rails if ya push it back in it works lol, ill have to take a pic next time to explain better

172, VX220t, Westfield se
Good thread.

My drivers seat stopped tilting forwards. So I unhooked the seat cover as Aliengravy suggested above.

The seat cover is has three elastic cords which hook onto two hooks on the base of the seat, you just have to feel around for them.

That allowed me to get my hand up and feel around for the cable and the bar it pulls.

After messing around with it for a few minutes It got it moving again and now it works again. It may well be a sign that I'm going to need a new cable as is felt a bit slack, so I'll have to see if it keeps working.

Also the point about passengers in the back being trapped is a good one, and some thing I hadn't considered. I don't carry passengers in the rear often, but its worth having it working.

Cheers all :cool:.

Kirk

BG 182 FF
Cheaper to buy a new seat off ebay, or one of the traders than pay that labour charge. My driver one has done the same and I cann't get the working so just buying a new seat.

clio sport 172
hey people my driver seat has done say thing has been proveing interesting to un do like would have to push down on seat first before it would relese fully but now dose not relise at all was quote 20.00 for new cable and 60.00 per hour to strip the seat to find out whats worng
what people think could be say thing , from what i just read said sound like stretched cable as iv had a feel and feels like its on some where its not snaped far as i can tell.

any one got a guide with photos to take them apart to fix this fault, i can have a go to make one as got to sort this or going to cost a bom to get a dealer to sort it .

Nissan 350z
My passenger seat has the same issue. When theres some daylight im going to have a look thanks to the info posted in this thread.

From the sounds of it though taking pics wont work as you have to feel up inside the seat? :/

clio sport 172
new seat from dealer

base section 348.44
back section 403.94

the cable is 16.36 think i be have ing a good explore

Renaul clio 1.2 16v
I have a similar problem, but my seat will open up but it will not lock back into place. So if I have to break hard, the seat slide up the runners (scares the crap out of you the first couple of times).

172, VX220t, Westfield se
I fitted a new cable yesterday. It took about 45minutes, but now I know how to do it I could do the next one much quicker. Its quite a simple job to do, but is a bit fiddley. I took some photos and could put a guide together if it would be useful?

A few pics:

PICT4643.jpg

This is looking up the seat. On mine the upper of the two little white plastic bits had broken and wasn't pulling the bar enough to release it.

PICT4639.jpg

The top of the cable in the handle.

PICT4641.jpg

Seat cord, holding the seat cover to the base. There are three cords which are just on little hooks.

PICT4632.jpg

Its difficult to make out, but this is the broken bit.

Kirk

Renault Megane
Hi, I have the same problem. I have bought a new cable and threaded it through, the problem I have is figuring out how to attach it at the handle. I have removed all the screws as directed but cant see how to connect! Any advise??

6/468 17poo
I fitted a new cable yesterday. It took about 45minutes, but now I know how to do it I could do the next one much quicker. Its quite a simple job to do, but is a bit fiddley. I took some photos and could put a guide together if it would be useful?

A few pics:

PICT4643.jpg

This is looking up the seat. On mine the upper of the two little white plastic bits had broken and wasn't pulling the bar enough to release it.

PICT4639.jpg

The top of the cable in the handle.

PICT4641.jpg

Seat cord, holding the seat cover to the base. There are three cords which are just on little hooks.

PICT4632.jpg

Its difficult to make out, but this is the broken bit.

Kirk

Do you know the Renault Part number to do this? Anyone?