ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I've no idea what tyres I want next. I've noticed some re-stock of my Goodyear Eagle F1's which I like a lot.

The Bridgestones were offered to me at a very good price recently so wondering if anyone has any info or experience with them?

Now Sold :-(
Have had these on my old BMW and on the wife's S-Max.
Good performance in wet and dry but don't last long.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting, from what I've read the tyre is the most divided opinion i've ever seen. s**t, brilliant, s**t, brilliant, s**t brilliant and on.

Tyre performance is so subjective, its almost impossible to decide based on reviews alone. I would suggest which magazine for some kind of impartial testing. Otherwise, the usual performance/ price correlation stands.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
050's are a bit different from the A's. I feel they are a good weather performance tyre. Tbf they wouldn't be any worse in the wet or winter compared with Paradas.

Might just go with them see how I get on. I'll update if I decide on them. :)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I chewed my bridgestones up fairly quickly, i'm on Pilot Sport nows and they're excellent!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Massive price difference.

They don't seem to be lasting that long the potenzas. My Goodyears are nearly 4 years old. :eek: Still have 4mm left. The compound has gone a little though.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The car is 107k now. I've done just less than 15k in nearly 2 years iirc. Guy bought 4 in 2008 at the one time. Reciepts and evidence on the forum I use. Also never swapped back to front. Backs still have 5-6mm left on them.

Defies belief tbh. The compound has degenirated before the tread did. Never seen that before.

Italian 3.2 V6
Are these not the ones which are on the new 265 trophy? ..The main reason why it's the quickest hatch on the new Market today? If so can't be a bad tyre.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
4 years on Eagle F1s?! Assymetrics or the old GSD3?
I murdered the latter in 6k miles when I first got my 172 (I drove foot down eveywhere at 21 :slap:).

I looked that the RE050As as well for the 330, good reviews mostly but I opted for a Conti Sport 3 in the end. Looking at tests year after year on vairous cars, it was a clear top contender and excellent in the wet. I'm enjoying them thus far. And at £640 for a full set of 18s, they were the same price as Bridgestones and Goodyear.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Are these not the ones which are on the new 265 trophy? ..The main reason why it's the quickest hatch on the new Market today? If so can't be a bad tyre.

I know but they might suit different cars. Heavier sports cars are suited to them I believe.

4 years on Eagle F1s?! Assymetrics or the old GSD3?
I murdered the latter in 6k miles when I first got my 172 (I drove foot down eveywhere at 21 :slap:).

I looked that the RE050As as well for the 330, good reviews mostly but I opted for a Conti Sport 3 in the end. Looking at tests year after year on vairous cars, it was a clear top contender and excellent in the wet. I'm enjoying them thus far. And at £640 for a full set of 18s, they were the same price as Bridgestones and Goodyear.

GSD3's mate. Fantastic tyre tbf.

I looked at the conti 3's but even the Vredistein Ultrac sessantas are better and cheaper.

The Bridgestones are proper cheap though.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
GSD3's mate. Fantastic tyre tbf.

I looked at the conti 3's but even the Vredistein Ultrac sessantas are better and cheaper.

The Bridgestones are proper cheap though.

Vredisteins better in which way mate?

I loved my GSD3's. They were a lot cheaper than the competition at the time.

Try the Bridgestone's then mate. I understand it's hard though, not so simple to pick when you will have them for a long time. What do most FRP owners prefer?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
A lot run Paradas imo it's because they are cheap but sticky, they still buy them because they are a little cheaper. I hate the rounded sidewall though as silly as that sounds.

I can still get the F1's but for the price I fancy trying something different. Cheers for the input though.The F1's are actually still a very good price! They stopped making them but camskill got some new stock so it'll be the last of them I assume.

The sessantas offered better turn in etc over the conti 3's. Most MK2 FRS owners change to them after the contis ran out. I know a few of them!

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
They come standard on the Dc2's iirc. Heard nothing but good things across the forums about the rainsport2's also.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I doubt it's the "A's" big difference. DC2 is an older car.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Do you still get the original tyre? The A is obviously the asymetric tyre.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The edges are maybe slightly worn but the centre tread is superb mate.

I've been shocked, bare in mind I had them on the car last winter and we both know how bad the snow was last year!

Oh and just to add I had a slow puncture in the rear last year. 40 profile tyre and it could be driven on 9psi znd hardly notice it due to how solid the sidewall was!

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
OEM DC2 tyre was RE010 in the UK, in Jap-land it was RE01-R. Both completely different to the RE040/50.

RE040 is RUBBISH.

RE050 is better, obviously in non RFT.

GSD3 is the best tyre for UK roads. You have to offset wear rate though. Shame they're obsolete now.

Conti SPC I have on the Cup have lasted 25k, how is beyond me, but they're brilliant wet or dry. On a heavier, torquier car (FRS MK2) they're bound to show some weakness.

If you can get GSD3's still, get them. All IMHO of course.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I can still get them online. I'm out of the Potenzas. The sound lethal below 5mm, not for me. I'll probably just go for the f1's since I can still get them.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Bump, I'm really considering these after my conti 3s have died... But like gally, I'm seeing mixed reviews about them. They must be good if they can get the 265 around the ring quicker than an .r

...right?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Bump, I'm really considering these after my conti 3s have died... But like gally, I'm seeing mixed reviews about them. They must be good if they can get the 265 around the ring quicker than an .r

...right?

Plenty of choice out there. Never ran Bridgestones myself, they never particularly interest me enough to try them.

Vredestein are great value for money, my personal favourite is Pzero Neros. There performance in wet or dry is epic, just had 4 put on my gsi and they just as good as I remember them on the Clio.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Every single review says the same thing about low wear 3-4mm and the tyre becomes very very poor.

I'd rather buy some Vred Sessantas or the Kumhos KU39 (underrated tyre)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I've had 050s but not the A variant, and they were some of the best road tyres I've driven on. Never had a bad bridgestone, f1s for me are always mediocre, like a t1r but twice the price