ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bren's Sunflower 172 - Engine Rebuild

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Bren's Sunflower 172

I love this and a love the plans for it too, I can only wish of owning a Sunflower. New exhaust sounds good too...

Sunflower Ph1 172

I love this and a love the plans for it too, I can only wish of owning a Sunflower. New exhaust sounds good too...

Thanks dude, it still needs a lot doing that should keep me busy for a good while.

Sunflower Ph1 172

Busy day today... I'm off to Ireland this evening in the car, so I needed to get these rear bearings sorted. Was a bit worried that something would go wrong (as something usually does). Was a bit of struggle to get one of the disks off, but with a little pusuasion it popped off. The rear bearings were clearly bummed as I could feel how rough it was when just spinning the disc. Once off it was a 1/2 mile trek to a garage to get the new bearings pressed in. They are surprisingly heavy when walking with them.

a248b573.jpg

In the process I noticed that one of the rear discs had a strange wear pattern, quickly found out why. They will get changed in a few weeks anyway, and I didn't have time to go looking for rear pads today.

230c907b.jpg

I also have a weird annoying rattle from the rear of the car, that I was convinced was the new shocks. However by complete accident i noticed that the little bolt in the boot floor/wheel well was loose, and didn't reach the nut that holds the spare wheel/tools down. So hammer and screwdriver quickly got rid of that.

8bfd43a9.jpg

13d39eb5.jpg

After a quick test drive the noise appears to have gone, but I'll be completely convinced once I'm on the motorway (as the noise only pops up when cuising, not over bumps, or under acceleration).

Still a few things to do. In need of a new engine mount and a set of driveshafts that I should be fitting at the end of the month. For the new week or so I shall be just enjoying the car on the awesome roads in the West of Ireland.

Sunflower Ph1 172

Also raised the front a few turns just to be sure I can get on the ferry haha

To be honest with you mate Im not a massive fan of the PH2 rear lights also, not keen on the boy racer reverse lights. I would fit a PH2 rear bumper though, much better than the PH1. However I do like standard RS's!

Sunflower Ph1 172

To be honest with you mate Im not a massive fan of the PH2 rear lights also, not keen on the boy racer reverse lights. I would fit a PH2 rear bumper though, much better than the PH1. However I do like standard RS's!

yeah, I like the plain ph1 lights.

Sunflower Ph1 172

Well, the sunflower is currently residing in the West of Ireland whilst I write this from my office in Manchester. Had a 'slight' problem whilst on holiday.

Firstry, I went over to see family and attend my cousin's 21st birthday (I was born over there, and we gew up together). The few days the car was driving it was unbelievably fun. The roads in the west are pretty much made for the 172... just perhaps not a lowered one (for the record I had wound the front up quite a bit, so it wasn't as low as it appears in other pics - although still low)

On the N59 between Newport and Westport there is a small hump/back bridge in the middle of a long straight. On Sunday night I was heading into Westport at roughly 11pm (keep in mind how dark it is in the countryside) and although driving rather 'quick' I wasn't hooning it, so I'm not claiming I am blameless. I hit the crest which sent the car pretty airborne, causing it to bottom out quite heavily when it landed. At first I thought I had either a rear puncture or a rear bearing had collapsed as the rear end was all over the place. The oil light came on and I quickly turned the engine off and rolled to the side of the road. Looked underneath to find oil dripping hevily, and oil all over the rear of the car (the oil must have been all over the rear wheels causing the rear end to lose grip).

Recovered the car to my aunties and my cousin and I went about investigating the damage, we found that the entire back of the sump/oil pan had sheared off after a pretty hevy impact. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the pickup (although the pics don't show much). I decided after much headscratching that the best thing to do is get hold of a sump and send it over, and have my cousin kindly fit it for me.

After a latnight phonecall to f0xy he told me that where the oil pump and pickup meet, it is common for there to be damage after an impact. So I'll be sending over a spare pump and pickup just in case. I'll then catch a flight and bring the car home.

HOWEVER.... I had a great holiday, and I'm not as annoyed as I thought I'd be. I was massively impressed with the car, as were my cousin and his friends (who much prefer Jap/German cars). After taking them out for a ride, and giving my cousin's Celica GT-Four a run for it's money on the straights and twisties they are now converted.

The damage: Sorry for crap quality

fe1ff360.jpg

Sunflower Ph1 172
Honestly?.... Yeah it was fun! New sump/pan on the way, the I'll post it off to Ireland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gutted to see the damage, at least it's fixable.

Proper love this car, but makes me miss mine so, so much.

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph

Lovely phase 1 mate, just a quicky what diameter is your sparco wheel? i'm sick to death of my my tatty wheel and yours looks good :)

Evo 5 RS

GT4s are terrible cars, I'd be impressed with a 172 too if I'd spent awhile in one of them!

Looks like you grounded out HARD!!!

Sunflower Ph1 172

Gutted to see the damage, at least it's fixable.

Proper love this car, but makes me miss mine so, so much.

Yeah, it's not 'that' bad really, it's a relatively simple fix. I'm very surprised I didn't damage anything else to be honest. I'll be sure to inspect everything (or get my cousin to). when being towed home the car felt ok, but for obvious reasons I couldn't start the engine.

Lovely phase 1 mate, just a quicky what diameter is your sparco wheel? i'm sick to death of my my tatty wheel and yours looks good :)

Not entirely sure, 280mm? I'll try and get an answer for you. It made a massive difference to the car, nothing worse than the massive wheel that comes with the 172.

GT4s are terrible cars, I'd be impressed with a 172 too if I'd spent awhile in one of them!

Looks like you grounded out HARD!!!

I had a quick drive of it and found the power great, but it felt heavy. It was a bit of a mess in the bends too, as it seemed to have quite soft suspension (especially compared to a 172 on coilovers). Barely saw any clios over there, and no 172s. They are almost unheard of over there, and it did impress.

I hit the ground from quite a height by my guessing. There is a few scrapes on the bottom of the bumper, so I reckon I've gone down at a bit of an angle. I had a good look around underneath and it looks like the sump took all or most of the impact. Everything else seems ok..... Scene points? haha

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1

at least it was just a 'slight' moment, too many of our 'flowers are hitting the scrap yard in the sky.

hope you get it back soon

Sunflower Ph1 172
at least it was just a 'slight' moment, too many of our 'flowers are hitting the scrap yard in the sky.

hope you get it back soon

Don't worry, it won't be getting scrapped even if the bottom end is goosed. I'll get it rebuilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunflower Ph1 172

New sump and oil pump arrived in Ireland at the weekend. Recieved a message from my cousin stating that when he uncovered the smashed sump (covered it wiht bin liners to stop an oxidization) that a small amont of red liquid seemed to drip out. He seems to think it may be coolant as the level had gone below minimum. However there doesn't seem to be any reason why there would be coolant in the sump unless there is block damage internally. I mentioned that the car was using coolant, as I had to regularly top it up, although I couldn't diagnose where is was leaking from.

He held off doing any other work before I got back to him, so he's going ot have a crack at it this weekend when he is back home (works/studies away). I'm heading over weekend after next, so fingers crossed he'll have it running by then. If it is using coolant, then I'm not hugely worried as my main priority would be to just get the car back in the country. After a knock like this, and from what f0xy has been telling me about the fine tolerences of the F4R engine, I wouldn't be surprised it if went bang pretty soon.

It's hard to say what the next move will be as I really need the car back in the country before I can really 'do' anything. So I'll be getting out some AA european recovery, so if the engine dies on the way back then at least I can get the car home. However, if the engine is dead and the bottom end goes whilst my cousin takes it out for a test drive, then I'll have to have a bit of a rethink.

If the engine does go pop, then I'll be having a full rebuild. It's not all that expensive for what is essentially a brand new engine, and I've seen first hand a couple of horror stories of goosed 2nd hand F4R engines.

For the time being though, we'll just have to see what happens... starting to miss it now though.

Sunflower Ph1 172

Well, been a nerve racking few weeks waiting to see if the car will run. Just received word that the engine is running with no knocks or rattles. Had a few miles put on it, and it's running sweet. However there are a few things that have been noticed and will need sorting once it's back in the country.

1: My cousin noticed a little white residue on the oil filler cap, coupled with the fact that the car has been using coolant we believe either the head gasket is on the way out, or there is a crack in the block. I want to have the engine fully rebuilt, however if there is a crack in the block it will be unusable. So I will likely need to source a fresh block when the time comes

2: One of the subframe bolts is just spinning, so looks like the nut inside the drop down section from the chassis has sheared. Not a big deal apparently as it's pretty common, so should be an easy fix.

3: The gearbox is resting on the subframe, so looks like the gearbox mount is either just knackered, or has sheared. Again not a big deal, as its a simple fix.

So I'm off to Ireland on Friday to pick up the car, and bring it back on Sunday. Not entirely confident that the engine is going to last all that long, but as long as it's gets me home I'll be happy enough. AA European recovery cover just in case.

Other than that, I'm chuffed that the little yellow car lives on, and when finished shall probably be the freshest Sunflower ph1 out there.

Mk5 golf gti

No chance headgasket has gone, never ever seen that on any renaultsport clio

Sunflower Ph1 172

No chance headgasket has gone, never ever seen that on any renaultsport clio

Well we don't know. Was using coolant before the incident, considering I couldn't find a leak head gasket is one to consider. Shall just have to see when I get it back and run it for a while.

Sunflower Ph1 172

Flight booked to head over on friday afternoon, and bringing the car back Sunday night... Via Japfest at Mondello Park over the weekend.

Cannot wait to get back on the road again!!

Sunflower Ph1 172

IMG_0493.jpg

Well, went to go pick up the car at the weekend. Starting it for the first time I was pretty nervous, especially when the oil light started flickering. Turned out it was just the green oil pressure sensor just a little loose, and the light didn't come on again. The drive from Co.Mayo across to Naas is a good 3hr drive, as our hotel was in Dublin, but the car was fantastic. The engine pulls well, and there is no knocks or rattles.

Was down at Mondello Park where Japfest was on, and the Prodrift finale... where I was spotted by an eagle eyed ZSOC member.

IMG_4074.jpg

Whilst driving back, I came up with a bit of a list of what needs to be done, and the list is a little long. So shall be tackling these over the next few months.
  • Engine
    • Freshly built engine, with new bearings, rings gaskets etc.
    • Possibly matched inlets at the same time.
    • RS Tuner once everything is up and running.
    • New engine mount, and gearbox mount needed desperately too.
  • Rear bearings - yes after just replacing them, the O/S rear is humming it's tits off. Probably down to not torquing them up correctly (..or not at all).
  • Driveshfts - N/S is really bad now, and the O/S has been split and had the boot replaced previously.
  • Subframe - the captive nut for one of the subframe bolts is just spinning, will likely sort this when the new engine is dropped in.
  • Rear shocks - There is a really annoying noise coming from the top of the rear shocks, it's a vibration that only comes when there is no weight in the back of the car. Not entirely sure what could be wrong, as everything seems tight.
  • Lights - front lights have broken adjusters, which is pretty frustrating as they are out of alignment.
  • Tyres - The tyres on the car are pretty shocking, and the fronts are on their way out. Also, the front are 45 profile which looks stupid on the 15" wheels. With winter coming I'm not sure what to go for.
  • Brakes - although fine at the moment, I think the disks and pads will need replacing. May go for OEM pads, but get something like DS2500s for whne I eventually get round to doing a track day. (along with some extra wheels).
  • Bodywork - Well once everything is sorted mechanically, I need to get this bodywork back to how it was when it left the factory. Along with some ph2 colour coded side strips, and a ph2 bumper I will be happy.
  • Spacers - The front wheels are sat way too far inside the front arches, so think I'll need something along the lines of 20mm hubcentric spacers. I may also be tempted to go for some aftermarket wheels too.
So a fairly long list that will likely get a lot longer... Just glad to have the little yellow car back!!

Sunflower Ph1 172

Not really any updates, still a big list to do, but funds have been tight lately, here's a little post I just put up in another section. Was a bit worried when I discovered it...

Hopefully this will prevent a disaster for someone...

As most will know, the rear bearings on the 1*2 is insude the rear disk, this means they are essentially changed every time you fit new disks (those that are supplied with bearings). I changed the rear bearings a few months ago, which is a relatively cheap job. The disks had plenty of life in them, so I opted to just get fresh bearings pressed in. I used the following item:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120690676835?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

After a few months, one started humming again. I thought this was down to just not being the correct torque. I put off changing it for a while, and strangely it stopped making a noise. I wasn’t too worried, but was conscious it needed changing. I was warned by f0xy that if the bearing completely fails, then the wheel can essentially fall off, although the wheel could be held in place loosely by the disk and calliper.

I eventually decided it was time to get it sorted, and changed the rear disks this weekend, genuine Renualt parts, with bearings included. The reason for this thread is that I noticed just how bad the bearing was, once I jacked the car up.

According to Ryan at NWP – the hub nut supplied with the original kit isn’t correct for the car. It’s just a general nut that is shipped out with every kit as it fits various vehicles. The nut doesn’t cover the whole bearing, so you need to either re-use the original nut, or get a genuine one from Renault. Which I’m told is roughly £1-2.

So if your bearing was making a noise, but has stopped, jack up the car and check for play.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Sunflower Ph1 172

not quit ean update, but should have a few parts on the way soon.

I've always been fond of the Williams wheels, and as I was down at NWP last week, I decided to trial fit Adam Anderton's whilst I was there with him. I wouldn't go for this dark of a colour (dark grey, fading light in photo) but I think they suit the ph1 very well. I'm tempted, but I think it'll be something for next year.

Yes the car was filthy, hadn't been cleaned in over a month.

b29484f2.jpg

Sunflower Ph1 172

Not a very interesting update but some much needed maintenance finally getting sorted this weekend. Upper engine mount sheared a while back, and been causing annoying vibrations. Finally got round to buying one, which should be fitted tomorrow. Yesterday the rear pads started making a grinding sound, so I've got a set from ECP (only £11) to go on tomorrow too. Another thing I've been putting off is changing the O/S Driveshaft, it really started to get annoying now and you can start to hear/feel the vibration it's causing. So will be fitting that tomorrow too.

26e659f4.jpg

Also had a bit of a lowness fail on new years eve when rushing to the shop to get cash out. Reversed out of a parking space and caught the front bumper on a curb, which pulled it out of place. Pretty annoying, so I'm hoping to sort that out this weekend too as I haven't had time during the week. Yes it needs a wash, and hoping to get some front spacers at the end of the month.

fec604e1.jpg

Sunflower Ph1 172

Finally got round to changing the engine mount and rear pads fitted with thanks to f0xy, also sorted out the front bumper. However, we could't get the hub nut loose, so will have to attack it with an air gun at some point next week and change it next weekend.

Also, I was getting sick of the ridiculous cutout in the rear bumper thanks to a previous owner. So decided to cut it right across, and chuffed with how it turned out. (see previous pics to see the cutout).

Gave it a much needed clean (must be 2/3 months since I cleaned it) so took some time to get some nice photos whilst I had nothing else to do with my afternoon

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg