ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Breaking Menz IP and FF down

Morning

Had a proper go with the G220 and the above products this weekend on a reasonably 'cobwebbed' car. Aside from struggling in the dim light to see the fine scratches (note to self, must buy a halogen light and stand!) I found that I was unsure how long I should be spending on each panel.

The correct answer is, of course, as long as it takes to remove the marks (certainly with IP, using an SFX1) but I was unsure how well it was breaking down and when to stop. On some panels it seemed to produce a bit of dust and go translucent, on others you could see the overlapping created by the polisher and it still looked "wet", despite working on it for some while.

I am using the new formula IP so my question really is, how long should it be taking to break down in this weather with the random orb. and at what point do I stop working it in?

Second query is that I've used IP and FF on it now and I have to say, I'm really quite impressed with the results. However, it took me all day just to do that properly so I didn't get to the next stage. It should be fine for me just to work over that after a wash and dry straight with SRP and so on shouldn't it?

Thanks.

James.

16v Dynamique
The Menzerna polishes are known to be very fussy about what sort of conditions they are used in, and on some days they just refuse to work at all and they can be a total pain to use. I know some people heat the bottle and panel up slightly using the halogens, but as you say you don't have any, try floating the bottle in some warm water and see if that helps.

Bare in mind though, that they Menz range do have a very long work time due to the fact that they are well lubricated, so just work them like any other polish; until the residue goes clear.

And can i just ask why you are using SRP?

A well built VW
And can i just ask why you are using SRP?

Just what i was thinking :rolleyes:

You will be able just to give it another wash or QD depending where the car was parked overnight and then wax or seal it

I love the menz finish but it can be a b**ch to work with, on a clio tho FF is all you should need Ive never had to use anything harsher

I was going to use the SRP after the FF as I understand (and it makes sense) that the EGP bonds better to that than the FF.

As I say, a reasonable amount of the IP was going translucent and some dust was occurring but the further into the afternoon it got, the longer I was spending on each panel.

I'll wash, dry and then was intending to do a machine coated layer of SRP then hand coat with EGP x2 and layer x2 coats of #16.

Roll on the summer! (or better still, roll on clearing out my garage!).

A well built VW
Dont use SRP and EGP so i cant comment but what you say does make sense now, im sure Rich will be along soon to advise you on using them

Yeah roll on the summer more rain knowing our luck

Mito Sportiva 135
You use the SRP as it forms a polymer layer for most sealants to bond to, if you apply a sealant (or most waxes) straight to the bare polished metal there is nothing to adhere to. SRP isn't really just a polish (in fact i doesn't really polish at all in the traditional sense) it leaves behind a very thin polymer resin layer and polymer chains can be built up for extra durability and better looks.

You use the SRP as it forms a polymer layer for most sealants to bond to, if you apply a sealant (or most waxes) straight to the bare polished metal there is nothing to adhere to. SRP isn't really just a polish (in fact i doesn't really polish at all in the traditional sense) it leaves behind a very thin polymer resin layer and polymer chains can be built up for extra durability and better looks.

Think youv been getting a bit carried away with this polishing thing my friend ;)

Mito Sportiva 135

Think youv been getting a bit carried away with this polishing thing my friend ;)

Ha...you know what I meant, the bare painted surface on the metal...if I wax waxing bare steel I would be getting concerned! :cool:

106 GTi
The Ceramiclear Menzernas can take ages to work by DA at this time of yer, the work times even on warm days can be a around 5 mins per section. Bear in mind you need so little product compared to most other polishes. How much are you using ?

After initial pad priming one or two small dots per section is the only product addition you need. I must admit I am sticking to the normal formula IP at this time of year.

lol @ the SRP hate again as usual ! Leaves a damn good base for sealants and a must before the EGP.

A well built VW
I love the menz finish but it can be a b**ch to work with, on a clio tho FF is all you should need Ive never had to use anything harsher

Wait till you try a Black Gold !

Used to be fine on my NHB civic too im assuming the black gold is similar , although having said that i did do an older civic last autumn which needed the rd twins out for and that was a black gold style colour