ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Woes

RenaultSport Clio 182
Hello,

I've searched for this issue a few times but can't seem to get to a solution.

I changed the brake discs, pads and hoses all round on my 182 but the front nearside nipple sheared off and I lost the brake fluid.

The brakes are now all fitted with new nipples but I cannot get any bite in the pedal at all - it goes to the floor.

I've bled several times in the correct order using the two person method and with an Eezibleed and I get a bubble or two then lots of solid fresh fluid coming through. Still - no bite on the peddle. I've also tried it all with the engine running.

After searching I'm thinking one (or both) of two things:

1. Air in the ABS pump. unfortunately the dealer is 33 miles away and I can't drive the car so I could get RS Tuner with the ABS module and bleed this way.
2. Knackered Master Cylinder? The pedal has been pushed to the floor a lot, could I have blown the seals? How can I diagnose a bad master cylinder?

Any thoughts guys?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
If you have let the system run dry you will undoubtedly have air in the abs system.

The pikey method is to try and get the abs pump modulating under braking, something like try to get the wheels to lock on wet grass etc.

Otherwise Clip or RsTuner can purge the system.

RenaultSport Clio 182
I'd try the wet grass method but I can't even get enough pressure to brake at all :confused:

RenaultSport Clio 182
Thanks, after looking at the RStuner kit and liking the idea of being able to read the codes and putting the 98Ron map on, I've ordered one.

This will bleed the brakes using the ABS module so hopefully will get rid of the air. After pushing through another litre of fluid with the eezibleed there is still no brake pressure at all. I guess I'll buy plenty of cheap stuff and put better fluid through when they're working again.

If that doesn't work then the master cylinder could be the issue and it doesn't look like a nice job so fingers crossed.