ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Warning Light + Stop Light

Corsa VXR
Hi people, I've recently been having a problem with these two lights flickering on whenever I take a long left hand bend. Every day on the way home this happens unless I'm going below about 40, it happens at the end of the bend as it becomes straight. The lights will go crazy then just turn off.

About 4 months ago I changed both handbrake cables as one snapped, could this be the main factor in the problem? Any help would be great.

Ash

Corsa VXR
I checked that just now mate, a friend suggested that too, looks high enough. What connections are there, could it just be a lose connection somewhere?

Hi mate

It's something to do with brake reservoir, basically the sensor that triggers the brake warning light is on one side of the reservoir. So when you go around a long corner or at speed the fluid moves away from the sensor making the car think the reservoir is empty.

I would double check the brake fluid and make sure it's near or on the MAX

Also check the connections on the reservoir lid and check the wiring from it, I'm not sure if that's the wires for the sensor but it's always worth a check.

Thanks
Scott

Corsa VXR
Thanks mate, I'll have to double check everything. Cheers for the help, I'll let you know what I find.

Ash

The usual checks when this happens is low brake fluid like above due to the brake pads wearing down therefore the level dropping, check the level on flat ground.

The sensor is in the lid of the reservoir, it gets pretty dirty around that area. Might be an idea to unplug the lid and take it off, check the condition of the contacts etc.

Do not simply top up the brake fluid.

This is almost always due to worn brake pads. Simply topping up the reservoir will likely mean that some will have to be taken out when the pads are replaced. Brake fluid should never need topping up. It doesn't evaporate.

EDIT: whoops. As above.

Corsa VXR
I don't think the pads are that worn, I'll double check the fluids as I only had a brief check at work this morning. Cheers for all the comments, should get this sorted soon hopefully. Might just buy the gear and do the lot, new fluid, pads and discs.

Corsa VXR
Yea I checked the pads after work, but was getting dark. Pads have loads left so it's not that, wait until I have some light and it's not tipping it down and check the fluid and sensor.