ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake upgrades?!

172cup turbo & rx8
Sam I've read lots of your posts on here and you know what your talking about, but there is no way I'm accepting there is no benefit to be had

Lotus Elise
Sam I've read lots of your posts on here and you know what your talking about, but there is no way I'm accepting there is no benefit to be had

I've never experienced any in a Clio (have in other much faster cars) or heard of anyone having any benefits especially the guys who race clios.

Personally I'd save the £30 and always tell our customers too as well.

Im sorry but that's just not correct, decent pads will have a higher upper working limit however Any pad has its limit and when you reach it fade will happen

grooves will help disperse the gas regardless of which pad you choose, wether it'll be noticeable on a light car like the Clio is a completely different argument but for £30 extra per set of disks I don't see why you wouldn't want them

Just get some grooved discs then. just don't drive with your windows open because all the extra dispersed gases that come off due to the grooves may harm your health and taste rank.;)

172cup turbo & rx8
That's the key, it's going to be more of an issue in heavier faster cars, but that wasn't the argument;) my cup is only 210bhp but I've experienced fade with 2500's and 1155's

Lotus Elise
That's the key, it's going to be more of an issue in heavier faster cars, but that wasn't the argument;) my cup is only 210bhp but I've experienced fade with 2500's and 1155's

Ahh I'd never say 2500s don't fade. DS3000s are for proper boys. Shame they eat wheels :(

In all honesty i can't see the grooves really helping that much, But would be good to hear feedback from you as to whether they help or not. have you tried any of them RC5's or 6's or whatever they are called

WRX
As soon as I feel any difference then I come in. I am not in a race car, it is a road car with occassional track trips.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I think the above is the answer.

There are " 2 " aboves , lol . At the end of the day it's down to personal preference . Like i said , i'm more than happy with my set up so it's what i would recommend if somebody asks . Someone running HC's with DS2500'S might be happy with theirs and recommend that setup . Each to their own . As long as my car stops when i press the middle pedal thats all i care about . And if the discs cost a few quid more , so bit it . I'm quite happy to shell out that extra few quid . I don't think there'll ever be a conclusive answer to the " best setup " .

Lotus Elise
There are " 2 " aboves , lol . At the end of the day it's down to personal preference . Like i said , i'm more than happy with my set up so it's what i would recommend if somebody asks . Someone running HC's with DS2500'S might be happy with theirs and recommend that setup . Each to their own . As long as my car stops when i press the middle pedal thats all i care about . And if the discs cost a few quid more , so bit it . I'm quite happy to shell out that extra few quid . I don't think there'll ever be a conclusive answer to the " best setup " .

You're correct and I agree.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
This turned out interesting. Lol

i was always under the impression that grooved disks kept the pad surface clean and fresh?

Probably got told wrong and it's just for looks.

172 cup
haha
tumblr_m9cgm4PMPv1rnzgcto2_1280.jpg

Mec 350 slk manual
I had the drilled and grooved on mine for 18 months they looked ok from the front but worn out at the backs changed to bram hc
and good pads and noticed a big improvement .

Clio 172
I use Pagid blue pads (not cheap but I rate them and have 2 sets now), excellent from cold and never had any fade from them at all (even after a very very late braking manoeuver into the melbourne loop) and HC pads at the front, rears are standard.

Impreza STi Type R
Absolutely nothing wrong with Godspeed grooved discs and Kevlar pads... had some on my old 172 Cup and found them fantastic, great initial bite with plenty of stopping power! Ian rallies a Clio 172 Cup and what he doesn't know about brakes isn't worth knowing. I've just fitted a set to my 182 FF and am just bedding them in.

For anything more than fast road car stopping power, I'd upgrade the pads to Bluestuff, I find the DS range pretty hard and very dusty lol

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me

In true CS style, surprised nobody suggested getting an M3 :rasp:

At the end of the day it's down to personal preference . Like i said , i'm more than happy with my set up so it's what i would recommend if somebody asks . Someone running HC's with DS2500'S might be happy with theirs and recommend that setup . Each to their own . As long as my car stops when i press the middle pedal thats all i care about . And if the discs cost a few quid more , so bit it . I'm quite happy to shell out that extra few quid . I don't think there'll ever be a conclusive answer to the " best setup " .

Spot on, stick to the bigger names and you won't go far wrong