ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake upgrades?!

172 cup
Howdy,
I have a 172 cup i purchased last week, and the brakes need doing asap.
It runs standard brakes as far as i am aware, and tbh they really are dire! This may be fact it hasn't been used or there just fooked lol.
Seeing as they need replacing all round, i think its the best opportunity for upgrading.
I have seen plenty of different drilled and grooved disc and pad combos on eGay, for very reasonable prices.
Is there a common brake upgrade, like a cup pack, or from a megane or something, as i cant find anything in search.
Otherwise i was going to go for a drilled and grooved disc on mintex pad combination as it seemed to work well on my previous car.
Any idea, or links etc would be a great help.
Taa
Connor

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Have a chat with G172 in the traders section,
he sells Brembo's at a decent price and once ordered they show up almost instantly.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
G 172 is your man and his prices are very good and will price match i have Brembo max disks with Ferodo DS2500 pads and braided brake lines and there brilliant

I know about drilled but whats wrong with the grooved ones? Or the dimpled ones?

Do they all crack like thw drilled?

Your just loosing surface area and as you said they will crack, rd use the Brembos are fine, I run Mintex M1155 + Brembo HC with standard rear pads discs, and Goodridge stainless hoses and descent Dot 4 Super Blue fluid.

Regards Russ.......

182cup & 172 racecar
Grooves not needed.

Stay away from the ones that the groove doesn't all the way to the edge.

Plain discs are more than good enough.

172cup turbo & rx8
Grooves not needed.

Stay away from the ones that the groove doesn't all the way to the edge.

Plain discs are more than good enough.

I'm interested as to why you say that Tony? Surely as long as the groove is long enough to not be completely under the pad then there is no need for it to go right to the edge?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Brembo Max discs with Mintex 1144's . Work fine for me . I paid £78 for the discs on Ebay , one of those " best offers " . As for the grooves being a bad thing . That'll come under the infamous Cliosport " Myth and Legend " section . A friend told a friend who told a friend who told somebody else they are really bad , then it becomes FACT :approve: Do you really think a company like Brembo would manufacture discs with grooves in if it was detrimental to the performance or longevity of the disc ? Imho , no , i don't think they would . Either way Brembo Hc's or Max will be fine :D

172 cup
Well thanks lads for the responses. Managed to get it on the ramp for a decent poke around today for a few hours and found out why my brakes were truely shocking, the brake compensator valve linkage had snapped, therefore ruining my brake balance, but all sorted now and found out its running brembo discs and mintex pads all round so thats abit of winner :) So my problem is resolved for now. But G172 has kindly pm'd me the prices of his brakes, and i will be getting some brembo/ferodo setup within the next couple of months :)
Thanks all!
556357_10151252725829926_1871907208_n.jpg

WRX
If you aren't going on track then you only need a standard setup, as I'm sure you'll find out now. Anything else is overkill really, just trying to save you some cash, sure George will sort you out either way though.

172 cup
Yea the stuff i got on now works well now there fully functional, but they are getting very close to there life limit, i had to chuck on some bargain under a tenner rear pads to get me out of the sh1t. But yea i do intend on going onto track so buying decent brakes im not fussed about, but your right, standard is good enough for uk roads anyways.

If you aren't going on track then you only need a standard setup, as I'm sure you'll find out now. Anything else is overkill really, just trying to save you some cash, sure George will sort you out either way though.

Agreed. The 1144s are harsh enough for road use, you simply don't need DS2500 on the road. If you can afford it get a set of each and swap for trackdays. Quick, easy job and you'll prolong the life of the racier pad if you're only using it on track.

172 cup
Agreed. The 1144s are harsh enough for road use, you simply don't need DS2500 on the road. If you can afford it get a set of each and swap for trackdays. Quick, easy job and you'll prolong the life of the racier pad if you're only using it on track.

Thats a very good idea, as you said, pad changes take less time than an oil change lol

182cup & 172 racecar
Brembo Max discs with Mintex 1144's . Work fine for me . I paid £78 for the discs on Ebay , one of those " best offers " . As for the grooves being a bad thing . That'll come under the infamous Cliosport " Myth and Legend " section . A friend told a friend who told a friend who told somebody else they are really bad , then it becomes FACT :approve: Do you really think a company like Brembo would manufacture discs with grooves in if it was detrimental to the performance or longevity of the disc ? Imho , no , i don't think they would . Either way Brembo Hc's or Max will be fine :D

Oh yeah, that must be it, somebody told me they were no good. :rolleyes:

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
On my ph1 I had brembo Max disks, ds2500, braided lines and fluid change.

they were a perfect set up.

im going to use the ds2500 on my R.S200 when it's due pads, the standard pads give a bit of fade, not much. But I'll just try a pad upgrade as the ds2500 were well suited for my 172

172 Race Car
Well thanks lads for the responses. Managed to get it on the ramp for a decent poke around today for a few hours and found out why my brakes were truely shocking, the brake compensator valve linkage had snapped, therefore ruining my brake balance, but all sorted now and found out its running brembo discs and mintex pads all round so thats abit of winner :) So my problem is resolved for now. But G172 has kindly pm'd me the prices of his brakes, and i will be getting some brembo/ferodo setup within the next couple of months :)
Thanks all!
View attachment 89954
You mean the link rod was missing?
You know its supposed to be missing dont you?

172 Race Car
And they are noisy, not a nice noise, a horrible rumble. Had them with DS2500's before and wasnt impressed with either

172cup turbo & rx8
Brembo max discs eat pads with no added benefit to breaking performance.

I still don't understand how having grooves cannot help with brake fade, surely the grooves help the built us gasses disperse from under the pad area thus preventing fade?

or am I missing something?

WRX
I'm guessing that you'd very rarely use the car for a long enough stint, to use any advantage they may offer.

Lotus Elise
I still don't understand how having grooves cannot help with brake fade, surely the grooves help the built us gasses disperse from under the pad area thus preventing fade?

or am I missing something?

Smaller swept area if it has grooves . Last time I was on track in my clio I had 0 issues with 'gas' build up causing brake fade. On a 2 hour stint at Le Mans maybe just outside Middlesbrough in a clio I wouldn't worry about.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Brembo max discs eat pads with no added benefit to breaking performance.

Had mine on for 18 months now with Mintex 1144's , had absolutely no problem with the discs eating the pads , there was still plenty of meat left on the pads when i bled the brakes a few weeks ago . As for added benefit , i can honestly say there probably isn't over the HC's but i thought i'd try them as the price i paid was reasonable . The only comparison i have are the standard discs and pads i had fitted before . Braking is better though in my opinion , but that will be down to the pad material of the 1144's . I'm happy with the setup , so all's good :D

172cup turbo & rx8
Got nothing to do with gases. Heat, s**t pads and fluid is the reason for brake fade

it has everything to do with gas, the excess heat causes a gaseous layer between the pad and disk preventing proper friction giving you fade

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
And they are noisy, not a nice noise, a horrible rumble. Had them with DS2500's before and wasnt impressed with either

I've not experienced any noise or horrible rumbles with mine using the 1144's , they did squeal quite a bit when new , but i knew the 1144's were prone to doing that , that's something i could live with . Maybe the noise and horrible rumble was down to the DS2500's ?

172 Race Car
Maybe, im just saying i didnt see any advatage to justify the price over the HC's. DS2500's rate highly on here but not that great imo, again not worth the money over other things

it has everything to do with gas, the excess heat causes a gaseous layer between the pad and disk preventing proper friction giving you fade

Yep which is caused by s**t pads so fitting grooved discs won't solve that problem. Get decent pads and standard discs Job done

172cup turbo & rx8
Yep which is caused by s**t pads so fitting grooved discs won't solve that problem. Get decent pads and standard discs Job done

Im sorry but that's just not correct, decent pads will have a higher upper working limit however Any pad has its limit and when you reach it fade will happen

grooves will help disperse the gas regardless of which pad you choose, wether it'll be noticeable on a light car like the Clio is a completely different argument but for £30 extra per set of disks I don't see why you wouldn't want them

Lotus Elise
Im sorry but that's just not correct, decent pads will have a higher upper working limit however Any pad has its limit and when you reach it fade will happen

grooves will help disperse the gas regardless of which pad you choose, wether it'll be noticeable on a light car like the Clio is a completely different argument but for £30 extra per set of disks I don't see why you wouldn't want them

Because its an extra £30 for no tangible benefit.