ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake discs and pads & Cat issues sorted on the 182

Clio 182
Hi I changed my front discs and pads today as my brakes when warm barley worked, anyway the reason the brakes where so poor was the brake pads on both sides had seized into the callipers due to all the crap and metal shims!!

Got some discs and pads of G172 well happy with how fast they came!!!!

The back of the pads looked like they had some sort of melted rubber on and the biggest piston impression I have ever seen on a set of brake pads!!

Anyway I have cleaned everything up with a wire brush and file but have had to leave one of the metal shims things off otherwise the pads would not go in without getting stuck I assume this is ok??

Finally I need to change the brake fluid I will do this tomorrow, just a question though the brake fluid what is in the car is like water it barley has any consistency to it at all and looks brownish?? This cannot be right?? I will hazard a guess the fluid has boiled??

And it looks like fluid has been forced out the brake lines!! What brake fluid do I need for my 182??

So I am thinking the car as had the brakes abused!! The funny thing is the pads and discs had barley been used at least ¾ of life left in them!

on another note the cat was loose at both ends so i have fitted a new cat / mani kit and brought a new bracket for the other end the car feels like a differnt car it pulls so hard through all the gears now :) how much power could i have potentially been down???

Sorry for the long post but Thanks for reading!!

Anyway I have cleaned everything up with a wire brush and file but have had to leave one of the metal shims things off otherwise the pads would not go in without getting stuck I assume this is ok??

Yep if you've cleaned the calipers up and pushed them fully back they should fit though. I dont use the shims though.
Finally I need to change the brake fluid I will do this tomorrow, just a question though the brake fluid what is in the car is like water it barley has any consistency to it at all and looks brownish?? This cannot be right?? I will hazard a guess the fluid has boiled??
COuld be the original brake fluid so needs all chnaging realy.

And it looks like fluid has been forced out the brake lines!! What brake fluid do I need for my 182??
Dot 4 is fine don't bother with 5.1 race car only and they change it a lot hence they can use it and live with the disadvanatges

So I am thinking the car as had the brakes abused!! The funny thing is the pads and discs had barley been used at least ¾ of life left in them!
If the fluid was never chnaged or new cheap pads fitted just before resale etc might explain the fluid. Fluid should be changed every 2 years anyway.

on another note the cat was loose at both ends so i have fitted a new cat / mani kit and brought a new bracket for the other end the car feels like a differnt car it pulls so hard through all the gears now how much power could i have potentially been down???
Depends how bad it was more likly a mental that a real life hp drop.