ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bottom Ball Joints 172 FF

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi there

Is there a difference between Cup's and FF regarding Ball Joints..?

The reason I ask is that I've just fitted some. None OEM mind you. But they fowled the ABS ring on the drive shafts.

Only found this out after fitting them. Bummer...! But compared to the original from the car, The replacements were much tailer. e.g from the bolt location upwards. Pics to follow.

So is there a difference. Or is it a case of none OEM parts again..?

Ted

2003 Clio 172
Had this exact thing myself Ted on a pair of ball joints bought from NW Performance on Sunday.

Their advice is to take a nip off the top of the new joints.

Im gonna have a go through the week at this but im very concious of the contents of the ball element having plastic so ill have to watch the temperatures.

Jj

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
So is there a difference. Or is it a case of none OEM parts again..?

You can not just buy the ball joint from Renault i wanted to replace mine on my ph1 172 they told me that it was new complete bottom arms at a cost of £60.00 each which i find funny as they are bolted on, you can not even buy new nuts and bolts from them...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I think it's more a case of revised design/non oem, you may find the new-er renault ones, on a new arm, look more like your one from a motor factor.

I replaced the balljoint on my ph1 172 with a part from the local motor factors (the 12mm variety) as you will see there are two sizes, and it fit fne, no issues at all.

2003 Clio 172
Ahhh,

Ryan from NWP called to confirm that this is one of those "oddities" that happens and he is swinging me a new set of ball joints.

Sweet to the beat.

Apparently, Delphi are funky sometimes.........

Jj

2003 Clio 172
I didnt need a breaker at all, its not tapered like bost ball joints, mine just pulled out after 49K

JJ

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Yep that’s the same JJ

Mine also came from NW. But due to needing the car. I just flashed the top of them. They would probably be fine on a cup with no ABS..

But thanks for posting pic just the same as mine.

Made a massive difference to car though new ball joints/steering arms plus track rod ends. Now time to sort the rear end out again.

Ted

Had this exact thing myself Ted on a pair of ball joints bought from NW Performance on Sunday.

Their advice is to take a nip off the top of the new joints.

Im gonna have a go through the week at this but im very concious of the contents of the ball element having plastic so ill have to watch the temperatures.

Jj

Various
Now we have found what the problem is we have changed our supplier so this shouldn't be a problem again.
It looks like the pins had been machined too big causing it to catch the ABS ring.