ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Boosting Laptop Speaker Volume

S2000
Does anyone know of a way to amplify the sound produced by laptop speakers?

Main problem is with Netflix, where even with the volume at full there are times where I can hardly hear it if I'm any distance away. I know the speakers are physically capable of playing to a much louder volume as music etc is ok, so I assume it would just need some way to amplify the signal artificially. VLC player has been pretty good at fixing the problemt for DVDs, but anything that could help with Netflix/other media files would be ace. Had a google, but didn't come across any good solutions.

Running Windows XP on my laptop.

Thanks.

Not sure on some software, but it may be best to buy some plug in speakers. They're usually cheap enough.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
double click the volume control in the corner.
Go options / advanced.
make sure everything is highlighted
make sure everything is up full?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Laptop speakers are generally under an inch or so. Do you really expect them to fill a room well !? Most sound utterly dreadful on low volumes let alone when they're on the verge of firing themselves through the case !

£20 on ebuyer/amazon should get you some separate speakers which will do the job. If it's for bedroom, a 2.1 system will probably be your best bet.

I've a spare set I'm not using .. *checks your location* but the postage to Texas would be a little ridiculous :eek:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
double click the volume control in the corner.
Go options / advanced.
make sure everything is highlighted
make sure everything is up full?

This. Also right click, open volume mixer, and see if anything is down low ;)

Laptop speakers are generally under an inch or so. Do you really expect them to fill a room well !? Most sound utterly dreadful on low volumes let alone when they're on the verge of firing themselves through the case !

Not all ;)

S2000

£20 on ebuyer/amazon should get you some separate speakers which will do the job. If it's for bedroom, a 2.1 system will probably be your best bet.

I've a spare set I'm not using .. *checks your location* but the postage to Texas would be a little ridiculous :eek:

Not expecting anything that will fill the room and go beyond the physical capabilities of the speakers. If I play something on iplayer for example, I can easily leave it playing and still hear it clearly on the other side of a large room - Netflix on the other hand I might be 4 feet away, and hardly be able to hear it. What I'm looking for is something that can effectively amplify the signal going to the speakers so that it makes use of their ability. VLC player obviously has something like that built in, as you can bash the volume up to '200%' and it will play much more clearly than Windows media player. I'm assuming it removes some of the variations in volume across the overall track/movie whatever being played but it does what I need, so I would imagine there is a stand alone programme that will be able to do the same.

I know external speakers can be bought, but my main motivation is that I travel a lot with work and it would be good to have something so I don't have to pack extra items and just maximise use of what the laptop can do.

I've tried the rest of the suggestions above already, and have all the windows setting maxed out already - appreciate the suggestions though.

Any other help/suggestions would be ace!

Clio 1.2 16v
What about buying a mini capsule for your headphone slot? I had the same problem so bought one for £10 and its so much better than speakers, small and compact too

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaqWdMu6uX4DHb2q9xEuTsYMJoXSUuPHkChPl4NKHl_dQqbpq0.jpg