ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bonnet won't open

182 Cup
Afternoon folks

I cannot get the bonnet on my 182 to open, when I pull the catch level it doesn't feel like there is any tension in it, how the hell am I gonna get the thing open!?

Thanks

renaultsport clio172
can you see the catch through the grille? if you can get a long screw driver on the arm and push it to release the bonnet, have you checked the lever inside the car to see if the cable has come off or if the lever is damaged here the cable goes?????

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
get someone to carefully push and pull the bonnet while you pull the lever, the catch could be stuck.

Da

Less
If the cable has broken you'll be best off cutting a hole in the grill so you can access the catch. Pushing/pulling the bonnet wont help if this is the case.

A new grill is £40~ and the cheapest option really.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Had this problem on my sisters Bf's cup, the winter had got in to the mechanism which is Cr*p while we are talking about it. It took us a good half hour to get the bonnet open. Basically the guillotine type slider that comes across weathers pretty badly and seizes up thus not releasing the male part of the bonnet. Once you get it open, you'll probably find it won't shut properly.... (DON'T BE FOOLED) when it's shut give it a good tug from both sides of the bonnet & you'll probably find it's not shut properly. You'll need a chisel head screw driver & some WD, manipulate the slider for a while & clean it, & as I remember fiddle with the mechanism for it behind the grill (SPRING END), eventually it will loosen off... Get some decent grease in there that won't come off in a hurry. Worked for us. Hope this helps.

It's a B*tch of a job.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
I think the cable is visible from underneath if you take the undertray off, I could be wrong tho, once you get it open, clean the catch in diesel and re grease it:)

260% JCW
As said above get someone to push on it whilst you you pull the lever, then check the adjusters for the bonnet (the screw ones on either side). Mine were set a bit to low, a few turns to raise the bonnet and it was sorted.