ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blown ECU fuse & immobiliser issue.

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Bit of a strange one this.....

Coming back from the Pod on Sunday evening, was giving the car a bit of stick round the back country roads near mine - everything was running sweet, next minute there was a car ahead of me so I slowed right down....went round a fairly modest left hand bend.....and then the car cut out & wouldnt restart.

Pushed it to the side of the road & checked a couple of things but to no avail. Ended up towing it back to my lockup which fortunately was only a mile or so away.

I put it down to either a faulty coilpack or TDC sensor.

Well I went down last night to have a better look now that I had a little more time & to make sure that it was actually missing a spark.

First thing I found was the ECU fuse had blown in the engine bay - well I presume it was the ECU fuse....as when I put a new one in, next time I put the ignition on the ECU clicked & the throttle body made a noise.

The very left 30AMP fuse was the one I replaced.
20042009441.jpg

So anyway after I'd replaced the fuse & tried to start it it seemed that the immobiliser was now stopping the car from starting as the STOP & the red light werent going out. So I had another check of all connections, then my mate came in for a natter for 15mins - he left & I tried the car again & it started first time, I must of checked & restarted it about 15 times last nite & every time it was fine - I wiggled & jiggled all wires & connections whilst the car was running & it didnt cut out.

Couple of questions then - what would cause the main ECU fuse to blow - anyone experienced this, I'm thinking that perhaps something is shorting out along the loom somewhere. Also can the immobiliser take a while to sort itself out - whilst I was talking to my mate I'd left the key in the ignition & switched on - would this have any bearing on it?

Any help as usual would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Lee ;)

172 Race Car
Probably not much help but anyway

You would need to look at a wiring diagram to find out what sensors/components that fuse feeds. The trace back from there to check if the wiring is chaffed anywhere.

As for the immobiliser ive seen this on 1.2's when the battery has gone flat, they wont recognise the key straight away.

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Found it - lambda wiring had got a tad close to the exhaust & melted a cable with then obviously had shorted out on the exhaust.

Tidied up & tied back now ;)