ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blowing ABS fuses???

BG 182 FF
Got in the 182 on Saturday morning, only to notice the abs, esp, serv, stop, engine management and handbrake light were all up and the speedo was not working. Also auto locking and seatbelt warning beep were not working (speed related so makes sense with the speedo out)

My first assumption was an abs ring or one of the sensors as the car was driving fine apart from this. Took it back to the garage (only had it for a week) and left it with them to fix. (Has full warranty)

They've hooked it up to the diagnostics and checked the rings and sensors and all seems fine so they changed the fuse and took it for a run. All was fine until you stop the car and turn off the ignition then pop, the fuse goes again. They have also taken it to renault to hook it up on their diagnostics and again all seems fine once you change the fuse.

They're now going to isolate each abs sensor to see if this finds the fault and work their way back if not but I wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue or any other ideas?
Can only assume something is creating a short circuit somewhere.

Car is completely standard.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Faulty pumps can blow ABS fuses mate, Ford Fiestas are particularly bad for it.

Get them to check it but iirc it's very hard to diagnose, worst case scenario, 2nd hand pump.

BG 182 FF
I think they're going to check everything before replacing the pump, makes sense I guess. Replacement pump will be a new item though if it is, at their cost luckily.

BG 182 FF
Apparently it's the harness for the parrot attached to the stereo causing the fuse to blow????? I can't get my head round this as it only links in to the stereo harness and then to the stereo.

How on earth that affects the ABS fuse I don't know :S

MERCEDES CLS AMG
The 182 speedo drive is taken of the ABS system unlike a conventional gearbox that has a digital input sensor which is powered by a plastic speedo drive on a gear ( run of diff ) that transmits a signal to the ecu / speedo.

If there is a fault with with an ABS sensor / ABS ring / pump / or any wiring which helps form the circuit it will trigger the abs, esp, serv, stop warning light thus immobilising the ABS / speedo.

I've never heard of a 12v accessory plumbed into the audio system triggering this or creating a problem with this circuit. Im very doubtful of their diagnosis tbh.

Personally it sounds like an ABS sensor / ABS ring to me.

BG 182 FF
My assumption was sensor/ring/pump or wiring but i've just seen it with my own eyes. Plug in the parrot harness (just the harness, not the control box) and it pops the ABS fuse??? These have all been checked too. The Parrot was only checked on a hunch.

It makes no sense, after all the harness is just a bunch of wires, if anything it should pop the Radio/Cigar lighter/clock fuse.

Really can't get my head round it?

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Have you recently fitted the Parrot Kit ? Did the fault occur immediately afterwards or was the kit already fitted ?

BG 182 FF
Fitted the kit a week ago and it was fine and fully functional for a week, then literally a week later the problem started.

Kit was previously fitted to my other car (another renault) for 10 months without issue.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
In what circumstances does the fuse blow ? cold start / warm off / hard braking / the powering on of an electrical device ?

BG 182 FF
Was blowing when you turned the car off, but fine when being driven. Now blows if you plug the loom in when the ignition is on.

Last edited:
  MERCEDES CLS AMG
Mate i would remove the parrot loom and if you can obtain a wiring diagram for the 182 harness. Once you have details of the wiring diagram i would rewire the Parrot with caution. I may have one on cd-rom - if so i will email you a copy.

BG 182 FF
The parrot looms been removed for now, but it's going to bug the hell out of me until I get to the bottom of it.

If you have a wiring diagram that would be very helpful, cheers. Might also get my hands on another parrot loom to see if there are any obvious errors?

My hunch is that the problem is further back in the stereo loom, hense why the abs fuse is going rather than the one for the stereo, it may be that this has just highlighted the issue. Man on a mission now though. :mad:

MERCEDES CLS AMG
There are that many ancillaries fitted to modern vehicles that are interconnected to each other that would no doubt create a problem similar to yours if a circuit was wired incorrectly or earthed wrong. I'm sure it will be a simple fix mate.

2x Clio 16V, MB 190E
I have a similar problem with ABS. About a month ago complete ABS unit (computer, motor, pump) was changed (blocked) with 2 hand one. Everythink fine for 3 weeks and now the same problem, ABS not working, all lights on, no speedo and first full servo power and after couple of minutes no power steering :(

And it can´t be logged in with tester.

Is it posible that the unit has gone again?

Thanks;)

BG 182 FF
Well it turns out mine was nothing to do with the parrot loom, this was just a red herring (and confimed my doubts on this being the fault). Plugging this in was simply causing enough resistance to cause the fuse to blow, but the problem was further back on the loom.

Turns out the steering column adjustment mechanism is snagging a wire or something as everytime you adjust the column then lock it back in place it blows the fuse.

One up for me as the warranty now covers all the costs, rather than them blaming it on the parrot install. Cars back at the dealers for repairs, unfortunately the pastel yellow fiat panda courtesy car leaves a lot to be desired!!!